Definitions of integral over a bounded set.

In summary, Lee's book, Introduction to Smooth Manifolds, introduces a new definition of integrating a function over a bounded set- using the Riemann integral. However, Fleming's book, Functions of Several Variables, introduces the same definition of integrating a function over a bounded measurable set. However, it seems that the two definitions are not equivalent. This is a serious problem because it makes it difficult to exchange ideas when talking about something of math.
gotjrgkr
Hi!
I want to learn a course of "general relativity".
For this, I've realized that I have to master the differential geometry.
So, I've chosen Lee's book called " introduction to smooth manifolds".
In the appendix of the book, some required knowledege of integrations on an euclidean space are listed. And I found a definition of integral over a bounded set.
Suddenly, a question has passed through my brain. I've also tried to learn an integration theory from fleming's book " functions of several variables". But, it seems that the book uses a different definition from lee's book. For example, fleming's integrates a function over a bounded measurable set. On the other hand, lee's book doesn't care about measurable set. the lee's book integrates a function over a just bouded set.
This is the point where my problems occur. I think the definitions of integral over a bouded set must be equivalent. But as you can see, they are different.
I can't understand why authors don't use a common definition of integration over a bouded set. Do I have to follow the each different definition of a integration of different books??
Then, I believe that it would be difficult to exchange common ideas when talking about something of math.
Why do some authurs use one definition of integration and others use others??
Do you think that all following books; munkres's "Analysis on manifolds", spivak's "calculus on manifolds", fleming's "functions of several variables", and so on, use the equivalent definitions of integration over a bounded set??
How do you think about my problems?
What is the wrong parts that I've mentioned above??
Please, notice about them for me...
This is very serious problem for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect that Lee is using the "Riemann integral" rather than the "Lesbeque integral" of Fleming. Using a Riemann integral sharply limits the sets over which a function can be integrated- a much stronger condition than merely "measurable". For example, the set of all irrational numbers between 0 and 1 is measurable (and has measure 1) so that we can integrate a Lesbeque integral over it but it contains no interval so we would not be able to integrate a Riemann integral over it.

I want to learn the whole story of integral.
I've heard that "Riemann integral" was developed earier than "Lebesgue integral".
I'd like to ask you following questions...

You said [Using a Riemann integral sharply limits the sets over which a function can be integrated- a much stronger condition than merely "measurable". ].
From this, can I accept it to imply that "Riemann integral" can be defined by "Lebesgue integral", so that "Riemann integral" is just a kind of "Lebesgue integral"??

Do you mean that the "Riemann integral" integrates a function over a multi-dimensional rectangle??
In the lee's appendix, munkres's analysis on manifolds,etc, they introduce a definition of integrating a function over a bounded set by using "Riemann integral" over a rectangle.
On the other hand, in fleming's book and other materials dealing with the lebesgue theory, they define an integration of a function over a bounded "measurable" set.
As you can see, I think, the former one is dealing wider class than the latter in that it integrates any bounded set, but the latter integrates only a bounded "measurable" set.
I don't get an idea why there're two defintions of integrating a bounded set. How are they related with each other??.why does it seem to me that the former one is wider than the former? isn't it strange if considering that the former one is defined by "Riemann integral" and the latter is defined by "Lebesgue integral"?

What is the definition of an integral over a bounded set?

The integral over a bounded set is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve or surface within a specific set of boundaries. It is used to calculate the total value of a function over a given interval or region.

What is the difference between a bounded set and an unbounded set?

A bounded set has defined boundaries, meaning that the values of the set fall within a certain range. An unbounded set has no defined boundaries, and the values can extend infinitely in one or more directions.

How is the Riemann integral used to define an integral over a bounded set?

The Riemann integral is a technique used to approximate the area under a curve. It involves dividing the bounded set into smaller subintervals and calculating the sum of the areas of rectangles that approximate the curve. As the number of subintervals increases, the approximation becomes more accurate.

What is the difference between a lower sum and an upper sum in the definition of an integral over a bounded set?

A lower sum is the smallest possible value that the integral can take, while an upper sum is the largest possible value. The actual value of the integral lies between these two sums.

Are there other methods for defining an integral over a bounded set?

Yes, there are other methods such as the Lebesgue integral and the Darboux integral. These methods are more general and can be used to define integrals over both bounded and unbounded sets. They also have different criteria for convergence and may be more useful in certain mathematical contexts.