Deflection of box section - result Discrepancies

In summary, the author has a beam deflection problem. He has not looked at deflections in a while and can't understand why his solution is a million miles out from the results he has seen through testing. He has a beam made from 100x40x3mm mild steel box section. The beam is welded to the supports underneath the beam. The beam is loaded against its widest face and hence the author has used the second moment of area value as given from the data sheet. The relevant formulas are as follows: E=200,000 N/mm2 for steel, I=361000 mm^4. The first load case is the individual force P1 applied to the left hand side of the beam. The cantilever
Mech King
Hello everyone,

I have a beam deflection problem. I haven’t looked at deflections for a while now and I can't understand why my solution is a million miles out fro the results I have seen through testing.

Problem:

I have a beam made from 100x40x3mm mild steel box section which is 2100mm in length. See attached figure for free body diagram of the loading on the beam. Please note the loads P1, P2 and P3 are applied individually and then removed before applying another load, so there is only one load on the beam at anyone time.

The beam is welded to the supports underneath the beam (labeled “support reactions”)

The beam is loaded against its widest face and hence I have used the “second moment of area” value as given from the data sheet in its Y axis.

Relevant formulas:

E=200,000 N/mm2 for steel
I = 361000 mm^4

Solution:

My first load case is the individual force P1 applied to the left hand side of the beam:

P1=22,017N

Cantilever moment load (as per Shigley’s Mech eng Design book):

Ymax = (M*L^2)/2EI
Ymax = [(22017*177.5^2)*177.5^2]/(2*E*I)
Ymax = 0.86 mm

Query of Solution:

I have had this problem tested and the deflection of the beam was 6.77mm. My results are showing a figure which is about 8 times too small?
Could somebody please help me understand where I am going wrong?
I have a similar problem with the remaining two load case scenarios set out in the free body diagram, for loads P2 and P3 also, but I wanted to clear up this scenario here before progressing.
What do you think?

Attachments

• Beam deflection loading case.jpg
    Beam deflection loading case.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 496
Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, you don't have a pure moment load. You have an applied shear load, which will then cause a moment.

I assume you're looking at the Appendix, Table A-9.4 Cantilever - moment load. If you notice, it shows the reaction force at the fixed support [tex]R_1 = 0[/tex]. You will surely have a reaction. I don't see any cases in there which match yours. You may have to do this the ol' fashioned way, through integration. Are you familiar with shear/moment diagrams and analytic methods for calculating these things?

Hi Minger,

Thanks for the reply.

I am familliar with these methods but haven't looked at them since university so I am a little rusty. I will give it a shot this weekend and show you the results. I am guessing you are familliar with therse methods?

Cheers

I also haven't done exactly that in quite some years. From what I remember though, it's as simple as integrating the shear load 4 times and applying the correct boundary conditions as the constants of integration. I may be mistaken though...

Related to Deflection of box section - result Discrepancies

What is deflection of a box section?

Deflection of a box section refers to the bending or deformation of a box-shaped structure, such as a beam or a column, when subjected to external forces.

What causes discrepancies in the results of deflection of box sections?

Discrepancies in the results of deflection of box sections can be caused by various factors, such as variations in material properties, errors in calculations, or incorrect assumptions about the load distribution or boundary conditions.

How can discrepancies in deflection results be minimized?

To minimize discrepancies in deflection results, it is important to accurately determine the material properties, carefully consider the load distribution and boundary conditions, and perform precise calculations using appropriate methods and equations.

What is the significance of deflection in engineering?

Deflection is an important consideration in engineering design as it affects the structural integrity and performance of a structure. Excessive deflection can lead to failure or reduced functionality of a structure.

How can the accuracy of deflection results be verified?

The accuracy of deflection results can be verified through experimental testing, such as load testing or strain measurements, and by comparing the results with theoretical calculations or computer simulations.