1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deformation of a dicomponent rod under tension

1. Oct 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For this problem, my thinking was that since the top of the rod is fixed, then the only part that is elongating is the bottom, so I found the part elongating at AB and said that was the total elongation. I am not sure if this reasoning is sound. I suppose the other possibility would be to add up AB and BC to get the total, but then I don't know what the deformation at point B means. I am interpreting that as the elongation of BC.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, you need to add them for the total deformation, and the deflection of B is the change in length of BC (since C appears to be a fixed point). I haven't checked the arithmetic but your equations look right.

4. Oct 16, 2013 #3
    Wouldn't that mean that you need the answer to part b to solve part a? That is why I am confused I think

5. Oct 16, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, the questions are asked in reverse of the logical order.

6. Oct 17, 2013 #5
    Here is my attempt 2. How does it look?

Attached Files:

7. Oct 17, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Looks about right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted