Deformation of a dicomponent rod under tension

In summary, the discussion focused on finding the total elongation of a rod with a fixed top and a moveable bottom. The first approach was to only consider the elongation at point AB, while the second approach was to add the elongation at points AB and BC. The interpretation of the deformation at point B was also discussed. It was concluded that the total elongation can be found by adding the elongation at both points and the deflection at point B is the change in length of BC. There was also a comment on the reverse order of the questions.
member 392791

For this problem, my thinking was that since the top of the rod is fixed, then the only part that is elongating is the bottom, so I found the part elongating at AB and said that was the total elongation. I am not sure if this reasoning is sound. I suppose the other possibility would be to add up AB and BC to get the total, but then I don't know what the deformation at point B means. I am interpreting that as the elongation of BC.

Attachments

• 9.16.pdf
    60.2 KB · Views: 243
  • 9.16 attempt 1.pdf
    181.9 KB · Views: 224
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you need to add them for the total deformation, and the deflection of B is the change in length of BC (since C appears to be a fixed point). I haven't checked the arithmetic but your equations look right.

Wouldn't that mean that you need the answer to part b to solve part a? That is why I am confused I think

Woopydalan said:
Wouldn't that mean that you need the answer to part b to solve part a? That is why I am confused I think
Yes, the questions are asked in reverse of the logical order.

Here is my attempt 2. How does it look?

Attachments

• 9.16 attempt 2.pdf
    322.8 KB · Views: 233
Looks about right.

1. What is deformation of a dicomponent rod under tension?

Deformation of a dicomponent rod under tension refers to the changes in the shape, size, and orientation of a rod made up of two different components when it is subjected to a tensile force or stress. This can occur when the rod is stretched or pulled in opposite directions, causing it to elongate and change in other physical properties.

2. How does tension affect the deformation of a dicomponent rod?

Tension can cause the two components of the rod to stretch and elongate in different proportions, resulting in a change in the overall shape and size of the rod. The amount of tension applied will determine the extent of the deformation, with higher tension leading to greater changes in the rod's physical properties.

3. What factors influence the deformation of a dicomponent rod under tension?

The deformation of a dicomponent rod under tension can be influenced by various factors such as the material composition of the rod, the amount of tension applied, the temperature, and the rate of loading. Other factors such as the rod's geometry and external forces can also play a role in its deformation.

4. What is the significance of studying the deformation of a dicomponent rod under tension?

Studying the deformation of a dicomponent rod under tension is important for understanding the behavior of materials under mechanical stress. This can have practical applications in engineering, where the deformation of materials is a crucial factor in designing structures and determining their strength and durability.

5. Can the deformation of a dicomponent rod under tension be predicted?

The deformation of a dicomponent rod under tension can be predicted using mathematical models and simulations. These models take into account the material properties, applied tension, and other factors to determine the expected deformation of the rod. However, there may be variations in the actual deformation due to factors such as material defects and external influences.