Degradation of polydimethylsiloxane Si3(CH3)6O3?

In summary, the plausibility of a cross-linked polydimethylsiloxane polymer degrading into hexamethylcyclotrisiloxane under high heat flow conditions and oxygen environment is unlikely. The ring structure of HMTS likely has higher energy due to its constrained geometry, while PDMS has lower entropy due to its larger size. This means that HMTS would be the more stable form at higher temperatures. It is possible for PDMS to pyrolyse into HMTS at higher temperatures, with pyrolysis starting at around 150-200 C. This is due to the negative Gibbs' free energy of reaction, which is driven by an increase in entropy. Experimental evidence also supports the formation of H
dawin
In a discussion I had recently, a topic was raised concerning some polymer degradation. Under high heat flow conditions and an oxygen environment, what is the plausibility of a cross-linked polydimethylsiloxane polymer degrading into hexamethylcyclotrisiloxane?

I believe it is unlikely, and a colleague noted that it is unlikely a lower energy compound such as cross-linked Si(CH3)2O would degrade into a "higher energy" compound such as HMTS. I'm no chemist, what makes HTMS higher energy -- is it the bonds present, cyclical nature of the compound, both, neither?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well the bonds and groups present are the same, so the comparison here is pretty straightforward.

Offhand, HMTS likely has higher energy due to its ring structure. It has a more constrained geometry, so the bonds are more strained and have higher energy because of that. (in general: "ring strain")

On the other hand, PDMS is a larger molecule and as such has lower entropy. That means that HMTS should have lower energy and so be the more stable form at higher temperatures.
So I don't think it's unlikely to happen at all at higher temperatures. I'd expect PDMS to pyrolyse into HMTS to some extent at higher temperatures, at least in an oxygen-free environment (otherwise you might just have complete or partial combustion).
To take a wild guess, I think you'd see pyrolysis starting to occur maybe somewhere between 150-200 C or so.

alxm said:
Well the bonds and groups present are the same, so the comparison here is pretty straightforward.

Offhand, HMTS likely has higher energy due to its ring structure. It has a more constrained geometry, so the bonds are more strained and have higher energy because of that. (in general: "ring strain")

On the other hand, PDMS is a larger molecule and as such has lower entropy. That means that HMTS should have lower energy and so be the more stable form at higher temperatures.
So I don't think it's unlikely to happen at all at higher temperatures. I'd expect PDMS to pyrolyse into HMTS to some extent at higher temperatures, at least in an oxygen-free environment (otherwise you might just have complete or partial combustion).
To take a wild guess, I think you'd see pyrolysis starting to occur maybe somewhere between 150-200 C or so.

Thanks for your response. I haven't studied chemistry for a few years and am mostly self-educated re: o-chem; I'm trying to understand this statement:

Is this implying that HMTS would tend to form in absence of oxygen due to... Gibbs free energy? Is this a conservation of energy, increasing entropy deal or is that that completely off base?

dawin said:
Is this implying that HMTS would tend to form in absence of oxygen due to... Gibbs free energy? Is this a conservation of energy, increasing entropy deal or is that that completely off base?

Yes, Gibbs free energy. If you recall, ΔG = ΔH - TΔS

Now, HMTS is higher energy in terms of the enthalpy ΔH (due to the ring strain), but the reaction entropy ΔS is certainly positive, because HMTS is a smaller molecule. (and all else being equal, a smaller molecule has higher entropy) So with enough temperature the entropy term is going to win out, and you'll have a negative Gibbs' free energy of reaction.

In fact, just googling "polydimethylsiloxane pyrolysis", the first link turned up is http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ac50058a020" , which indeed shows that HMTS is formed when heating PDMS. They did use a very high temperature in that case (max temp 980 C), but given that their experiment formed HMTS instantly, I think it's safe to say the minimum temperature at which it's formed is quite a bit lower. OTOH I'm not a polymer chemist, so my guesses might be off. But it certainly doesn't require temperatures that high in general. (they were after all looking for general pyrolysis products and not just HMTS)

Last edited by a moderator:
It is an increase in entropy and therefore also a lowering of Gibbs free energy.
G=H-TS. A few long polymer chains forming random smaller fragments. Probably your cyclic trimer too, among others.
This is not the exact reversal of the polymerization because that is driven by the addition of high energy anions that open the rings.

1. What is polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS)?

Polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) is a type of silicone polymer that is commonly used in various industrial and consumer products, such as sealants, lubricants, and cosmetics. It is composed of repeating units of dimethylsiloxane, which is a combination of silicon, oxygen, and methyl groups.

2. How does PDMS degrade?

PDMS can degrade through various mechanisms, including hydrolysis, oxidation, and thermal degradation. Hydrolysis occurs when water reacts with the siloxane bonds in PDMS, breaking them down into smaller molecules. Oxidation occurs when PDMS is exposed to oxygen, resulting in the formation of free radicals that can cause chain scission. Thermal degradation occurs when PDMS is exposed to high temperatures, causing the polymer chains to break down.

3. What factors can accelerate the degradation of PDMS?

The rate of PDMS degradation can be influenced by several factors, such as temperature, pH, exposure to UV radiation, and the presence of catalysts or impurities. Higher temperatures and acidic or basic environments can accelerate hydrolysis and oxidation, while UV radiation can promote photo-oxidation. Catalysts or impurities can also increase the rate of degradation by providing sites for chemical reactions to occur.

4. What are the potential consequences of PDMS degradation?

The consequences of PDMS degradation depend on the specific application and environment in which it occurs. In some cases, the degradation of PDMS may result in changes to the physical properties of the material, such as decreased elasticity or increased stiffness. In other cases, it may lead to the formation of by-products that can be harmful to human health or the environment.

5. How can the degradation of PDMS be prevented?

The degradation of PDMS can be prevented by controlling the environmental conditions in which it is used or stored. This can include minimizing exposure to water, oxygen, UV radiation, and high temperatures. Additionally, additives or stabilizers can be incorporated into PDMS formulations to increase its resistance to degradation. Regular inspection and maintenance can also help identify and address potential sources of degradation before they become more severe.