1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Degree of freedom (physics)

1. Jun 25, 2010 #1
    NOTE: This is not a homework problem. So don't move it.

I was reading about degree of freedom and came to know that in general for N particles there are 3N degree of freedom that reduces when we put some constraints on their motion. E.g. For 2 particles confined in XY plane they have only 2 degree of freedom.

But I have a doubt that my source said that not all constraints reduces the degree of freedom, e.g. in the previous case even if I say that the particle lies in only first quadrant of XY plane then too I get 2 degree of freedom. I am not convinced, shouldn't we just have 1 degree of freedom in such a case? (Z=0 and since X and Y are related such that X>0, Y>0)?

Also going on similar basis if I say that I have 2 particles that are confined in a cylinder of radius r and height h then how many degree of freedoms do I have? Do I have 4 degree of freedom or 5?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2010 #2
    Because x and y are related it counts as 1 DOF per particle (unless the particles are somehow related). Or if you like we could say that the particles each move in a angular direction(theta, phi, etc. And of course 1 DOF per particle for moving up and down on the cylinder.

There may be constraints but as I understand it that since x and y are not related to each other the DOF do not reduce since we still have both x movement and y, movement independently.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook