Degrees & Minutes: Explaining the 360º System

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degrees
In summary, The tradition of using 1º corresponding to 60 minutes in a complete rotation is considered outdated and meaningless, similar to the use of miles and pints. This tradition is believed to have originated from the word "minute" meaning small, and the concept of 1/60 being a small fraction of something. The base-60 and base-24 time used in this system is seen as a flaw in an otherwise beautiful mks system. One physics major questioned the lack of unification in units despite efforts to unify science.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
A little birdy who is apparently too shy to post asks the following:

I have a doubt: considering the 360º for earth, and if it takes 24h to a complete rotation, why 1º corresponds to 60 min? It should be 4 min...

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I agree. It is a tradition as sensless and outdated as the mile and the pint.

I believe that the source of it is something along these lines: The word "minute" means small, and I guess a tradition is that 1/60 is a small fraction of something. A second is actually short for the "second minute" or the "second small fraction" so 1/60 of a minute. So 1/60 of anything is a "minute" fraction and 1/3600 of anything is a "second minute" fraction.

Last edited:
So a degree is ten "second minutes" of a circle.

mks is such a beautiful system except the base-60 and base-24 time.

I had a fellow physics major who always asked why we are trying to unify science but we haven't bothered to unify the units yet.

What is the 360º system used for?

The 360º system is used for measuring angles in degrees and minutes. It is commonly used in geographic and navigation systems.

What is the difference between a degree and a minute?

A degree is the larger unit of measurement in the 360º system and is equal to 60 minutes. Minutes are used to measure smaller angles within a degree.

How is the 360º system related to a circle?

The 360º system is based on the concept of a circle, where a full rotation is equivalent to 360 degrees. This is why a circle is divided into 360 degrees.

Can the 360º system be converted to other units of measurement?

Yes, the 360º system can be converted to other units of measurement such as radians or gradians. However, degrees and minutes are commonly used in everyday life and for most practical purposes.

What are some real-world applications of the 360º system?

The 360º system is used in many fields such as astronomy, geography, navigation, and surveying. It is also used in everyday activities such as reading maps and giving directions.