1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dehumidifying a Room

1. Mar 14, 2005 #1
    There was a physics problem I saw the other day which asked how to dehumidify a medium/large room in one minute. I have absolutely no idea how to figure this out, so I was wondering if any of you know how.
    - chris

P.S. If it's impossible to dehumidify in one minute, then I must have read incorrectly, and it's probably 10 minutes.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2005 #2

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you could lower the room's temperature to below freezing, that might work. The colder you make it, the quicker it'll happen. You could also use a large air pump and suck out all the air. No air = no humidity.

By dehumidify, do they mean make sure there's absolutely no water vapor in the air?

I imagine this is a hypothetical question with a clever but impractical answer, as the values you would need to actually compute this are missing. (ie. room size, temperature, initial humidity level, etc.)

4. Mar 15, 2005 #3

ShawnD

Science Advisor

You can also try blowing large amounts of pulverized sodium hydroxide or calcium oxide into the room. Both are excellent desiccants.

5. Mar 15, 2005 #4
    Yes it is a hypothetical question and there has to be absolutely no humidity in the air. Both of your answers seem clever, but how is it possible to freeze a room in one minute?
    - chris

6. Mar 15, 2005 #5

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

With my hypothetical instant room freezer lazer gun!

You could also get a large dump truck and fill the room with dry sand. No air, no humidity.

Or fill the room with water. Or would that be considered 100% humidity?

Or fill the room with a liquid other than water.

Do let us know what the answer is :smile:

7. Mar 15, 2005 #6

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Maybe it's a play on words. If you blow up the entire building, technically it's no longer a room so you can't say the "room" has any humidity in it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?