Dehumidifying a Room: Solve the Physics Problem

• Thread starter gday56
  • Start date
In summary, if you want to dehumidify a room quickly, you can try using a large air pump or filling it with sand.
gday56
There was a physics problem I saw the other day which asked how to dehumidify a medium/large room in one minute. I have absolutely no idea how to figure this out, so I was wondering if any of you know how.
- chris

P.S. If it's impossible to dehumidify in one minute, then I must have read incorrectly, and it's probably 10 minutes.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you could lower the room's temperature to below freezing, that might work. The colder you make it, the quicker it'll happen. You could also use a large air pump and suck out all the air. No air = no humidity.

By dehumidify, do they mean make sure there's absolutely no water vapor in the air?

I imagine this is a hypothetical question with a clever but impractical answer, as the values you would need to actually compute this are missing. (ie. room size, temperature, initial humidity level, etc.)

You can also try blowing large amounts of pulverized sodium hydroxide or calcium oxide into the room. Both are excellent desiccants.

Yes it is a hypothetical question and there has to be absolutely no humidity in the air. Both of your answers seem clever, but how is it possible to freeze a room in one minute?
- chris

gday56 said:
Yes it is a hypothetical question and there has to be absolutely no humidity in the air. Both of your answers seem clever, but how is it possible to freeze a room in one minute?
- chris
With my hypothetical instant room freezer laser gun!

You could also get a large dump truck and fill the room with dry sand. No air, no humidity.

Or fill the room with water. Or would that be considered 100% humidity?

Or fill the room with a liquid other than water.

Do let us know what the answer is :smile:

gday56 said:
how to dehumidify a medium/large room in one minute
Maybe it's a play on words. If you blow up the entire building, technically it's no longer a room so you can't say the "room" has any humidity in it.

1. How does a dehumidifier work?

A dehumidifier works by drawing in the humid air from a room and passing it over a cold coil. As the air cools, the moisture in the air condenses on the coil and drips into a collection tank. The dehumidifier then blows out the drier air back into the room.

2. What is the ideal humidity level for a room?

The ideal humidity level for a room is between 30-50%. This range is considered comfortable for most people and helps to prevent mold and mildew growth.

3. Can a dehumidifier cool a room?

Yes, a dehumidifier can cool a room. As the dehumidifier removes moisture from the air, it also removes some of the heat. However, it is not as effective as an air conditioner in terms of cooling a room.

4. How long does it take for a dehumidifier to remove moisture from a room?

The time it takes for a dehumidifier to remove moisture from a room depends on various factors such as the size of the room, the humidity level, and the dehumidifier's capacity. On average, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a day to remove excess moisture from a room.

5. Can a dehumidifier solve the physics problem of condensation in a room?

Yes, a dehumidifier can solve the physics problem of condensation in a room. By removing excess moisture from the air, it prevents condensation from occurring on surfaces such as windows and walls. This helps to maintain a comfortable and dry environment in the room.