Delayed choice - Bohr's experiment with a Camera

In summary, the conversation discusses the details and layout of Bohr's double slit experiment, which was extended with a camera to illustrate the concept of delayed choice. The experiment involves entangled photons emitted at a specific angle and observed at a result screen. The conversation also touches on the effects of film and entanglement on interference patterns, and the possibility of determining which-slit information. The participants also mention various diagrams and quantum circuits that can be used to explain the experiment.
pBrane
Hi
I have some questions and ideas regarding Bohr's double slit experiment which he extended with a Camera as an illustration of delayed choice. I read about it 40 years ago but can't find a reference to it, I'm hoping it wasn't apocryphal but it's consistent with Q-phys as I know it.

The experiment layout.
Imagine a diamond shape, 1 metre each side. The entangled photons are emitted at the 'south' angle, mirrors at east and west and the 'result' screen at north. The east mirror is a half-mirror with a 2 metre extension leading to a potential 'observation point', in this case a camera.

My memory tells me as Bohr ran the slit experiment with the camera:
1) With film - No interference
2) No film - Interference.

Can someone confirm (or deny) this before I go further, as, well I'm sure you know why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Strilanc said:
You're definitely misremembering.

For example, the described outcome would violate the No-communication Theorem.

Thank Strilanc,
Is there any chance someone could point to the simplest setup diagram that involves the 'Delayed choice' phenomenon. The simplest ones I've seen involves 20 odd mirrors.

pBrane said:
Hi
I have some questions and ideas regarding Bohr's double slit experiment which he extended with a Camera as an illustration of delayed choice. I read about it 40 years ago but can't find a reference to it, I'm hoping it wasn't apocryphal but it's consistent with Q-phys as I know it.

The experiment layout.
Imagine a diamond shape, 1 metre each side. The entangled photons are emitted at the 'south' angle, mirrors at east and west and the 'result' screen at north. The east mirror is a half-mirror with a 2 metre extension leading to a potential 'observation point', in this case a camera.

My memory tells me as Bohr ran the slit experiment with the camera:
1) With film - No interference
2) No film - Interference.

Can someone confirm (or deny) this before I go further, as, well I'm sure you know why.

The rule is: if the possibility exists to determine which-slit information, there will be no interference. So generally, the presence (or absence) of film is not the issue.

Also: entangled photons do not, while entangled, produce interference patterns. The reason for this is complicated to explain, but the easiest explanation is that they are not coherent.

Likes bhobba
DrChinese said:
The rule is: if the possibility exists to determine which-slit information, there will be no interference. So generally, the presence (or absence) of film is not the issue.

Also: entangled photons do not, while entangled, produce interference patterns. The reason for this is complicated to explain, but the easiest explanation is that they are not coherent.

Thx DrChinese, the experiment I am misremembering was to be an illustration of a different thought I have.
Is there a bare-bones 'Delayed choice' real or thought experiment you know of that I could use for explanation?

These are the diagrams I made to try to make it simple to understand.

The setup:

dcqe-photon-diagram.png

And the result (well, not exactly, since the above setup uses beam splitters instead of some kind of manual input for the choice and the labels for cases differ, but whatever):

delayed-erasure-updated-png.103371.png

And an equivalent quantum circuit that works on qubits, which is more abstract but avoids a lot of the vagueries of optics:

circuit-delayed-erasure.gif

Likes Justice Hunter and DrChinese
pBrane said:
Thx DrChinese, the experiment I am misremembering was to be an illustration of a different thought I have.
Is there a bare-bones 'Delayed choice' real or thought experiment you know of that I could use for explanation?

Not sure. There are some great delayed choice experiments that have been performed. However, in the quantum world, there is no apparent difference in the experimental context between one with delayed choice and one without. For example, you can entangle photons after they have been detected.

So without knowing the specific point you are after, it is hard for me to say. A lot of experiments have been done in recent years that touch on elements you mention.

Strilanc: sorry to jump over your excellent post.

I will think on, thanks.

Strilanc said:
These are the diagrams I made to try to make it simple to understand.

The setup:

dcqe-photon-diagram.png

And the result (well, not exactly, since the above setup uses beam splitters instead of some kind of manual input for the choice and the labels for cases differ, but whatever):

----------- diagram deleted

And an equivalent quantum circuit that works on qubits, which is more abstract but avoids a lot of the vagueries of optics:

circuit-delayed-erasure.gif
thanks Strilanc, one last question. Is it preferable that I post 'thanks' messages (i did not see it mentioned in the rules), I imagine you get lots of unnecessary alerts.

pBrane said:
Is it preferable that I post 'thanks' messages
That's what the "like" button is for. :cool:

Likes pBrane

What is delayed choice in Bohr's experiment with a camera?

Delayed choice refers to the concept in quantum mechanics where the observer's decision on how to measure a particle can affect the outcome of the particle's behavior even after it has already passed through the measuring apparatus.

What is Bohr's experiment with a camera?

Bohr's experiment with a camera is a thought experiment proposed by physicist Niels Bohr to illustrate the concept of delayed choice in quantum mechanics. It involves a light source, a camera, and a screen, with the observer having the choice to either leave the camera on or turn it off after the light has passed through the screen.

How does Bohr's experiment challenge the classical understanding of causality?

Bohr's experiment challenges the classical understanding of causality by showing that the observer's decision on how to measure a particle can affect the outcome of the particle's behavior even after it has already occurred. This goes against the classical belief that cause and effect are sequential and cannot be changed retroactively.

What is the significance of Bohr's experiment with a camera?

Bohr's experiment with a camera is significant because it highlights the strange and counterintuitive nature of quantum mechanics. It shows that particles can behave like waves and that the observer's presence and actions can affect the behavior of these particles. It also challenges our understanding of causality and the fundamental nature of reality.

What are the implications of delayed choice in Bohr's experiment with a camera?

The implications of delayed choice in Bohr's experiment are far-reaching and still being debated by scientists. It suggests that the observer plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of quantum experiments and raises questions about the nature of reality, free will, and the relationship between the observer and the observed. It also has potential implications for technologies such as quantum computers and quantum cryptography.