Density and simple harmonic motion

In summary, Homework Equations state that when an object is at rest, there is a force of mg pulling down and an extra force of f pushing down. This extra force is enough to push the object down. When the object is pushed down, there is a force of mg pulling down, f pushing down, and buoyant force pushing up. This extra force is enough to push it down. The net torque is T=IW. However, torque should not come into play. You've listed some forces, now put them into equations. When the object is at rest, B-mg=0. When it's pushed down, B-mg-f=ma. Since B=mg, f=ma. This
vu10758

Homework Statement

A mass of density d floats in a liquid of density d_L. The mass is then pushed down a distance x and let go. Use Newton's Second Law to demonstrate that the mass will undergo simple harmonic motion. Recall that the SHM equation is d^2x/dt^2 + w^2*x = 0. Assume there is no friction. Find w in terms of whatever variables needed.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that Newton's 2nd law is sum F=ma, and Torque = I*omega. I don't see how I can relate this to simple harmonic motion, which involves things moving back and forth in the same pattern. The answer key says that w=SQRT(D_l * g/(D*H)). However, I don't know what I am missing to solve this problem. I don't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think a free body diagram would be a good place to start. Then I would use Newton's second law. Torque, huh?

When the object is at rest, I have mg pulling down and buoyant force pushing up. They are equal in magnitude. The net torque is also zero.

When the object is pushed down I have f pushing down, mg pulling down, and buoyant force pushing up. This extra f is enough to push it down. My net torque is

T = IW

However, why would I use this? Isn't torque normally used when things are rotated?

T = F x R

What R in this case? Mg and buoyant are both pushing from the center in the free body diagram so I don't think there is an R. So f is the only force that contributes to the torque am I correct?

Torque shouldn't come into play. You've listed some forces, now put them into equations.

For the object at rest

I got

B - mg = 0

When it's pushed down

B - mg -f = -ma

Since B =mg

f = ma

I already know this though so how does it help prove that it's in simple harmonic motion with a repeating pattern?

Never mind I got it now. Thanks a lot for your help.

What is density?

Density is a measure of how much mass is packed into a certain volume. It is calculated by dividing the mass of an object by its volume. The unit for density is typically grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3).

How does density affect simple harmonic motion?

Density does not directly affect simple harmonic motion. However, the density of the medium through which an object is oscillating can affect the period and frequency of the motion. Objects will oscillate faster in a less dense medium and slower in a more dense medium.

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth between two points. The motion is sinusoidal and can be described by its amplitude, frequency, and period. It is commonly seen in systems such as springs, pendulums, and mass-spring systems.

How does mass affect simple harmonic motion?

The mass of an object does not affect the frequency or period of simple harmonic motion. However, mass does affect the amplitude of the motion. A heavier object will have a smaller amplitude than a lighter object in the same system.

What is the relationship between density and mass?

Density and mass are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the density of an object increases, its mass also increases. This relationship is described by the equation d = m/V, where d is density, m is mass, and V is volume.