Density of States -- alternative derivation

In summary, the derivation for the density of states (DOS) involves introducing k-space, which is a space where the states are uniformly distributed and makes it easier to find the DOS. This is especially useful for solid state physics, where k-space is directly related to the diffraction pattern and band structure of a crystal. While it is possible to find the DOS in real-space, it is more useful to do so in k-space.
Alex Cros
I am trying to understand the derivation for the DOS, I get stuck when they introduce k-space. Why is it necessary to introduce k-space? Why is the DOS related to k-space? Perhaps if someone could come up to a slightly different derivation (any dimensions will do) that would help.
My doubt ELI5: If we have a region full of potatos and we want to find the density of potatos we count the potatos and we divide by the area/volume, we don't need to go into potato-space.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alex Cros said:
I am trying to understand the derivation for the DOS, I get stuck when they introduce k-space. Why is it necessary to introduce k-space? Why is the DOS related to k-space? Perhaps if someone could come up to a slightly different derivation (any dimensions will do) that would help.
My doubt ELI5: If we have a region full of potatos and we want to find the density of potatos we count the potatos and we divide by the area/volume, we don't need to go into potato-space.
The problem with that last approach is that this would give you the total density of potatoes, not the density of potatoes as a function of the distance from the middle of the field :smile:

The reason for going to k-space, part from the fact that k-space is very useful for solid state physics, is that it is easier to find the density of states in a space where the states are uniformly distributed. For particle-in-a-box states, this is the case for k-space. It would also be the case in n-space (with n the quantum number), and some authors use that instead. It would not be true for energy space, so this is why one finds the density of states first in k-space, and then converts it to energy.

If you want to find the density of states for the harmonic oscillator, then you can directly start in energy-space, since the states are uniformly distributed there (since ##E \propto n##).

Likes Alex Cros
DrClaude said:
The problem with that last approach is that this would give you the total density of potatoes, not the density of potatoes as a function of the distance from the middle of the field :smile:

The reason for going to k-space, part from the fact that k-space is very useful for solid state physics, is that it is easier to find the density of states in a space where the states are uniformly distributed. For particle-in-a-box states, this is the case for k-space. It would also be the case in n-space (with n the quantum number), and some authors use that instead. It would not be true for energy space, so this is why one finds the density of states first in k-space, and then converts it to energy.

If you want to find the density of states for the harmonic oscillator, then you can directly start in energy-space, since the states are uniformly distributed there (since ##E \propto n##).
Thank you so much! Could you explain how this is done in n-space, (I can't really picture k-space) or perhaps refer to a book that does that, I am struggling to find any alternative derivation!

Thanks in advance! :)

Alex Cros said:
Thank you so much! Could you explain how this is done in n-space, (I can't really picture k-space) or perhaps refer to a book that does that, I am struggling to find any alternative derivation!
There is not much difference between doing it in k-space and n-space.

You can find it in the R. Baierlein, Thermal Physics (CUP).

Alex Cros said:

Thanks in advance! :)

I can use the question you posed in the first post and ask you the same thing: Why would you want to do this in real space?

For solid state/condensed matter physicists, k-space is more useful for many reasons. The diffraction pattern that we get from measurements directly map the k-space of the crystal structure. But more important than that, the band structure is a set of dispersion curves in E vs. k! This band structure practically determines a significant portion of the property of the solid. And BTW, the sum of the band structure over all k-space gives the DOS at a particular energy.

We do a lot of things in k-space because it is USEFUL, more useful than in real-space.

Zz.

"If we have a region full of potatos and we want to find the density of potatos we count the potatos and we divide by the area/volume, we don't need to go into potato-space."

Many years ago when I was studying the Dirac eqn. my beloved teacher, Professor Oreste Piccioni, handed back an exam paper and said to me: "Fred, the proton, she's not a little potato!"

Peace.
Fred

Likes BvU and Spinnor

1. What is the density of states in physics?

The density of states is a concept in physics that describes the number of states or energy levels per unit volume or per unit energy range that are available to be occupied by particles in a given system.

2. What is the alternative derivation of the density of states?

The alternative derivation of the density of states is a mathematical approach that uses the concept of phase space to calculate the density of states in a system. It involves considering the number of possible states in momentum space and converting it to real space to determine the overall density of states.

3. How does the alternative derivation differ from the traditional derivation of the density of states?

The traditional derivation of the density of states is based on the energy spectrum of a system, while the alternative derivation is based on the momentum space distribution. This approach allows for a more general and flexible calculation of the density of states in different systems.

4. What types of systems can the alternative derivation be applied to?

The alternative derivation of the density of states can be applied to a wide range of systems, including both classical and quantum systems. It is particularly useful in systems with high degrees of freedom, such as solids, gases, and plasmas.

5. Why is the density of states an important concept in physics?

The density of states is an important concept in physics because it provides insight into the behavior and properties of matter at a microscopic level. It is used in many areas of physics, including solid-state physics, statistical mechanics, and quantum mechanics, to understand the behavior of particles and their interactions within a system.