Derivation of Aerodynamic Forces

In summary, the equations for lift and drag forces in aerodynamics are derived using trigonometric identities and the concepts of normal force and weight. The lift force is equal to the weight of the object multiplied by the cosine of the angle between the normal force and the direction of airflow, minus the area of the object multiplied by the sine of that angle. The drag force is equal to the weight of the object multiplied by the sine of the angle between the normal force and the direction of airflow, plus the area of the object multiplied by the cosine of that angle.
VyRianS
Good day all:

I'm having trouble deriving the forces for Lift and Drag in the attached diagram.

The text I have (Fundamentals of Aerodynamics - John Anderson) states the solution to be:
L = N cosα - A sinα
D = N sinα + A cosα

Can anyone guide me through this? I think the cofunction identity is used somewhere:
sin(90 - x) = cos x
cos(90 - x) = sin x

But that's as far as I've gotten.

Help is appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• Lift & Drag.png
    Lift & Drag.png
    7 KB · Views: 554
Physics news on Phys.org
VyRianS said:
Good day all:

I'm having trouble deriving the forces for Lift and Drag in the attached diagram.

The text I have (Fundamentals of Aerodynamics - John Anderson) states the solution to be:
L = N cosα - A sinα
D = N sinα + A cosα

Can anyone guide me through this? I think the cofunction identity is used somewhere:
sin(90 - x) = cos x
cos(90 - x) = sin x

But that's as far as I've gotten.

Help is appreciated, thanks!
angles.jpg

For ##L##:
##\cos (\alpha + x)=\frac{L}{R}##
So ##L=R\cos(\alpha + x)=R\cos x \cos \alpha -R\sin x \sin \alpha \ \ \ \ (1)##
Now ##\cos x=\frac{N}{R}## and ##\sin x=\frac{A}{R}\ \ \ \ (2)##.
Then (1) becomes: ##L=N \cos \alpha -A\sin \alpha##.

Similarly for ##D##:
##D=R \cos y= R \cos(\frac{\pi}{2}-\alpha -x)=R\sin(\alpha + x)=R\cos x \sin \alpha + R\sin x \cos \alpha##.
Using (2) again, you get ##D=N\sin \alpha + A\cos \alpha##.

Hi there,

I'm not an expert in aerodynamics, but I'll try my best to help you with this problem. From my understanding, the lift and drag forces in aerodynamics are perpendicular to each other. In the attached diagram, the lift force (L) is the force acting upwards and perpendicular to the direction of airflow, while the drag force (D) is the force acting parallel to the direction of airflow.

To derive the equations for lift and drag, we can use the trigonometric identities that you mentioned. Let's start with the lift force:

L = N cosα - A sinα

In this equation, N is the normal force (the force acting perpendicular to the surface), and α is the angle between the normal force and the direction of airflow. Now, if we look at the diagram, we can see that the normal force (N) is equal to the weight of the object (W), which is acting downwards. So, we can rewrite the equation as:

L = W cosα - A sinα

Next, we can use the identity sin(90 - x) = cos x to rewrite the cosα term:

L = W sin(90 - α) - A sinα

Now, since the lift force (L) is acting upwards, the sign in front of the second term should be positive. This is why we have a positive sign before the A sinα term in the original equation.

Moving on to the drag force, we can use a similar approach:

D = N sinα + A cosα

Again, we can replace N with W and use the identity cos(90 - x) = sin x to get:

D = W sinα + A sin(90 - α)

Since the drag force (D) is acting parallel to the direction of airflow, it should have a negative sign in front of the second term. This is why we have a negative sign before the A sin(90 - α) term in the original equation.

I hope this helps to clarify the equations for lift and drag. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the concept of "Derivation of Aerodynamic Forces"?

The derivation of aerodynamic forces refers to the process of mathematically determining the forces that act on an object as it moves through a fluid, such as air. This is an important concept in the field of aerodynamics, which is the study of how objects interact with a fluid medium.

2. How are aerodynamic forces calculated?

Aerodynamic forces are typically calculated using equations derived from the principles of fluid mechanics and Newton's laws of motion. These equations take into account factors such as the object's shape, speed, and the properties of the fluid it is moving through.

3. What are the main types of aerodynamic forces?

The main types of aerodynamic forces are lift, drag, and thrust. Lift is the force that acts perpendicular to the direction of motion and keeps an object airborne. Drag is the force that acts opposite to the direction of motion and slows an object down. Thrust is the force that propels an object forward.

4. How do aerodynamic forces affect different types of objects?

Aerodynamic forces can have different effects on objects depending on their shape and orientation. For example, a streamlined shape will experience less drag than a flat or irregular shape. Additionally, objects with wings or other lifting surfaces can generate lift and stay airborne by creating a difference in air pressure.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding aerodynamic forces?

Understanding aerodynamic forces is crucial in various fields, such as aviation, automotive design, and sports. It allows engineers to design more efficient and aerodynamic vehicles, and helps athletes and coaches optimize their performance by reducing drag. It is also essential in the development of wind turbines and other renewable energy technologies.