Derivation of angular velocity using the unit circle

jnuz73hbn
Homework Statement
I am looking for a good derivation of $$ \ ω = \frac{Δα}{Δt} \ $$
, starting from the unit circle. My approach would be to first construct a right-angled triangle (Pythagorean theorem), then express $$ cos(α) $$ for the ankathete and $$ sin(α) $$ as the anticathete. Then I have a point on the arc of the circle (r=1). How do I get a suitable derivation for the initial formula of the angular velocity?
Relevant Equations
$$ \ Δα = α_2 - α_1 \ $$
$$ \ ω = \frac{Δα}{Δt} \ $$

Physics news on Phys.org
jnuz73hbn said:
Homework Statement: I am looking for a good derivation of $$ \ ω = \frac{Δα}{Δt} \ $$
That's essentiallly the definition, although usually ##\theta## or ##\phi## is used as the polar angle. The definition of angular velocity is $$\omega = \lim_{\Delta t \to 0} \frac{\Delta \theta}{\Delta t} = \frac{d\theta}{dt}$$See, for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_velocity

Last edited:
PeroK said:
That's essentiallly the definition, although usually ##\theta## or ##\phi## is used as the polar angle. The definition of angular velocity is $$\lim_{\Delta t \to 0} \frac{\Delta \theta}{\Delta t}$$See, for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_velocity
however, i wanted to go via the unit circle with sinus and cosine to derive exactly this definition

jnuz73hbn said:
however, i wanted to go via the unit circle with sinus and cosine to derive exactly this definition
By definition, you can't derive a definition.

Likes nasu
PeroK said:
By definition, you can't derive a definition.
I just want to know where the formula comes from using the unit circle or how it relates to sin cos in the unit circle

jnuz73hbn said:
I just want to know where the formula comes from using the unit circle or how it relates to sin cos in the unit circle
In plane polar coordinates, angular velocity ##\omega## is defined as ##\omega = \frac{d\theta}{dt}##. This means that, for example, uniform circular motion about the origin is given by:
$$x = R\cos(\omega t), \ y = R\sin(\omega t)$$

Likes jnuz73hbn

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or moving in a circular path. It is typically represented by the Greek letter omega (ω) and is measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angle (in radians) by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is angular velocity, Δθ is change in angle, and Δt is change in time.

3. What is the unit circle?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit, centered at the origin (0,0) on a Cartesian coordinate system. It is commonly used in mathematics and physics to represent angles and trigonometric functions.

4. How is the unit circle used to derive angular velocity?

The unit circle is used to derive angular velocity by visualizing a point moving around the circle at a constant rate. The distance traveled by the point in a given time represents the angular displacement, and dividing this by the time gives the angular velocity.

5. What are some real-world applications of angular velocity?

Angular velocity has many applications in physics and engineering, such as in the design of rotating machinery, analysis of planetary motion, and understanding the motion of objects on a spinning carousel. It is also used in sports science to measure the rotational speed of athletes and in robotics for controlling the movement of robotic arms and joints.