Derivation of Dirac Delta Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the Dirac-delta function using an integral and clarifies that it is not a traditional integral. It is instead defined as the limit of a function as it approaches infinity. The conversation also addresses the misconception that the integral can be solved, emphasizing that it does not exist in the traditional sense.
coki2000
Hello,
My question is about how dirac-delta function is derived by using this integral,

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi }\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{ikx}dk=\delta (x)[/tex]

I couldn't solve this integral. Please help me.
Thanks for all of your helps.

Physics news on Phys.org
The trick is that that's not an integral, at least not of the sort you learned in Calc 2.

Unfolding all the definitions involved, what they really mean is that
[tex]
\frac{1}{2\pi }\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}e^{ikx} f(x)\, dx \, dk=f(0)
[/tex]​
for any f which is smooth and rapidly decreasing. (Or some similar condition, depending on the precise details of what they're doing)

OK, but how can I solve this integral? Actually, I wonder it.

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi }\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{ikx}dk[/tex]

coki2000 said:
OK, but how can I solve this integral? Actually, I wonder it.

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi }\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{ikx}dk[/tex]

You can't.
Read Hurkyl's response again.

If they are using the [itex]\int[/itex] symbol to denote the sort of integral you learned in your Calc 2 class, then that integral doesn't exist.

But when I try to integrate it, I take this answer,

[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{sin(nx)}{\pi x}=\delta (x)[/tex]

It should have a meaning.

coki2000 said:
But when I try to integrate it, I take this answer,

[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{sin(nx)}{\pi x}=\delta (x)[/tex]

It should have a meaning.
No, it does not.

Okey thanks for your helps.

coki2000 said:
Okey thanks for your helps.

You're welcome.

1. What is the Dirac Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function, also known as the Dirac Delta Distribution, is a mathematical function that is used to represent an infinitely narrow and infinitely tall spike at a specific point on the real number line. It is often denoted by the symbol Δ or δ and is commonly used in physics and engineering to model point sources or impulse responses.

2. What is the significance of the Dirac Delta Function in mathematics?

The Dirac Delta Function is significant because it allows us to describe and analyze systems with point-like forces or disturbances. It also has many mathematical properties that make it useful for solving differential equations and performing other types of calculations.

3. How is the Dirac Delta Function derived?

The Dirac Delta Function can be derived in several ways, but one common method is through the use of the Heaviside step function. By taking the limit of the Heaviside function as its width approaches zero and its height approaches infinity, we can obtain the Dirac Delta Function.

4. What are the main properties of the Dirac Delta Function?

Some of the main properties of the Dirac Delta Function include: it is equal to zero everywhere except at its designated point, it has an integral of one over its entire domain, it is even and symmetric about its designated point, and it follows the sifting property, meaning it can be used to integrate other functions over a specific interval.

5. How is the Dirac Delta Function used in real-world applications?

The Dirac Delta Function has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing. It is used to model point sources of energy or disturbances, such as in the analysis of electrical circuits or in the study of quantum mechanics. It is also used in solving differential equations and in Fourier analysis to represent impulse responses and signals with infinitely short durations.