1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of moment of inertia of a solid sphere

1. Dec 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to know why my derivation does not work. I am attempting to derive I=2/5 mR^2

2. Relevant equations
    I have seen people derive it using disks but my question is why do the shells not work? Where in my set up did I go wrong??? Thanks

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am attempting to use shells to do this.
    integral(r^2dm)=I
    Ro=p=m/v so pdv=dm
    dv=4(pi)r^2dr
    moment of inertia (I) =definite integral from r=0 to r=R (4p(pi)r^4dr)

When I solve this integral it becomes (3/5)mR^2 and not (2/5) mR^2

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, and welcome to PF!

What is the moment of inertia of a single thin shell of mass dm and radius r? (Hint: It is not r2dm)

4. Dec 18, 2015 #3
    Well in general moment of inertia R^2dm and I am using the thin shells to eventually make up the entire volume so I can sub out for dm in terms of r

5. Dec 18, 2015 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If all the mass in the element dm is at the same distance r from the axis of rotation, then the moment of inertia about that axis will be r2 dm. For a spherical shell, is all of the mass in the shell at the same distance from the axis?

6. Dec 19, 2015 #5
    oh I see. thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted