Derivation of moment of inertia of a solid sphere

In summary, the conversation is about someone attempting to derive the equation I=2/5 mR^2 using thin shells instead of disks. They are confused about the moment of inertia formula for shells and why it is not the same as for disks. They eventually come to the realization that the moment of inertia for a spherical shell is not the same as for a disk.
joe5185

Homework Statement

I need to know why my derivation does not work. I am attempting to derive I=2/5 mR^2

Homework Equations

I have seen people derive it using disks but my question is why do the shells not work? Where in my set up did I go wrong? Thanks

The Attempt at a Solution

I am attempting to use shells to do this.
integral(r^2dm)=I
Ro=p=m/v so pdv=dm
dv=4(pi)r^2dr
moment of inertia (I) =definite integral from r=0 to r=R (4p(pi)r^4dr)

When I solve this integral it becomes (3/5)mR^2 and not (2/5) mR^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome to PF!

joe5185 said:
I am attempting to use shells to do this.
integral(r^2dm)=I
What is the moment of inertia of a single thin shell of mass dm and radius r? (Hint: It is not r2dm)

TSny said:
Hello, and welcome to PF!What is the moment of inertia of a single thin shell of mass dm and radius r? (Hint: It is not r2dm)
Well in general moment of inertia R^2dm and I am using the thin shells to eventually make up the entire volume so I can sub out for dm in terms of r

If all the mass in the element dm is at the same distance r from the axis of rotation, then the moment of inertia about that axis will be r2 dm. For a spherical shell, is all of the mass in the shell at the same distance from the axis?

Likes joe5185
oh I see. thank you

Related to Derivation of moment of inertia of a solid sphere

1. What is the moment of inertia of a solid sphere?

The moment of inertia of a solid sphere is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion, similar to how mass is a measure of its resistance to linear motion. It is denoted by the symbol I and is dependent on the mass and distribution of mass within the sphere.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a solid sphere derived?

The moment of inertia of a solid sphere is derived by integrating the mass of the sphere with respect to its distance from the axis of rotation. This integral is calculated using the formula I = ∫r^2 dm, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation and dm is a small element of mass within the sphere.

3. What is the formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a solid sphere?

The formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a solid sphere is I = (2/5)mr^2, where m is the mass of the sphere and r is the radius of the sphere.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a solid sphere compare to that of a hollow sphere?

The moment of inertia of a solid sphere is greater than that of a hollow sphere with the same mass and radius. This is because the mass is distributed further away from the axis of rotation in a solid sphere, resulting in a larger moment of inertia.

5. What is the practical application of understanding the moment of inertia of a solid sphere?

Understanding the moment of inertia of a solid sphere is essential in various engineering and physics applications, such as designing rotating machinery and analyzing the motion of objects in a rotational system. It also plays a role in understanding the stability and balance of objects in rotational motion.