Derivation of the Laue Equation -- Problem with path difference

In summary, the path difference is positive but the magnitude of the path difference is incorrect because the cosine is negative in the range specified.
Lindsayyyy
Hi everyone

Homework Statement

I'm trying to understand the Laue equation but I have problems unterstanding the derivation, especially one part in my textbook about the path difference (see attachment)

The Attempt at a Solution

My textbook says that the path difference here is:
[tex] \Delta s = \vec T \hat{s_0} - \vec T \hat{s} [/tex]

But why is there a minus? I thought there has to be a plus (like in the derivation of the Bragg equation) because when I look at the picture in the attachment, the ray which is on bottom has to travel dS1 and dS2 in addition. Where is my mistake?

Thanks for your help everyone. If anything is unclear just ask, I know my English is not the best.

Attachments

• laue.png
    laue.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 1,438
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

Note the signs of the dot products ##\vec{T} \cdot \hat{s}_0## and ##\vec{T} \cdot \hat{s}'##.

In particular, for your diagram, is ##\Delta s_1 = \vec{T} \cdot \hat{s}_0## a positive quantity or a negative quantity?

I think it's positive. I didn't create the sketch, I took it out of my textbook. I still don't understand why dS2 is negative.

Lindsayyyy said:
I think it's positive. I didn't create the sketch, I took it out of my textbook. I still don't understand why dS2 is negative.

What can you say about the angle between ##\vec{T}## and ##\vec{s}_0##? (Not a precise value, just a range). What can you say about the dot product between vectors with an angle in that range?

I know when the angle is between 0 and 90 degrees the dot product is positive. for 90 to 180 degrees it's negative. This may sound stupid, but I have a problem understanding this when I take a look at the sketch because the tip of the S0 vector touches the T vector. How do I cope with this? It's quite embarrassing that I don't know how I calculate a dot product this way, but I've never stumpled upon such a problem. I add an attachment so you know what I mean by "when the tip of one vector touches the other".

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• vec.png
    vec.png
    421 bytes · Views: 635
The angle between vectors as it occurs in the cross product, [itex]\vec{x} \cdot \vec{y}=|\vec{x}| |\vec{y}| \cos \theta[/itex] with [itex]\theta \in [0,\pi][/itex] is defined to be the angle between the vectors with their starting points coinciding, i.e., in your figure you have to parallel shift one of the vectors such that it's starting point coincides with the starting point of the other vector. Then the angle at this pivot point is the one relevant in the scalar product! In your drawing this angle is obviously between [itex]\pi/2[/itex] and [itex]\pi[/itex] and thus the scalar product id negative (because the cosine is negative in this range).

So the dot product of T and S0 in my first attachment is negative and the dot product of T and S' is positive? If that's the case I think my textbook is wrong :eek:

Lindsayyyy said:
So the dot product of T and S0 in my first attachment is negative and the dot product of T and S' is positive?

Yes.

If that's the case I think my textbook is wrong :eek:

You might be right. In the diagram, Δs = Δs1 - Δs2 would be a negative number, whereas the diagram seems to be deriving an expression for the positive extra distance that the bottom ray travels relative to the top ray.

But note that the magnitude of Δs = Δs1 - Δs2 does give the correct magnitude of the path difference of the two rays. So, it depends on how the text makes use of the expression for Δs as to whether the overall derivation of the Laue equation is wrong.

Alright, I got it now. Thank your very much for your help

1. What is the Laue equation and why is it important?

The Laue equation is a mathematical expression used in X-ray crystallography to determine the diffraction pattern produced by a crystal. This pattern contains valuable information about the atomic structure of the crystal, making it an important tool in materials science, chemistry, and biology.

2. How is the Laue equation derived?

The Laue equation is derived from basic principles of geometry and wave interference. It takes into account the path difference between the incident and diffracted X-rays as they pass through a crystal lattice, resulting in a series of constructive and destructive interference patterns.

3. What is the problem with path difference in the Laue equation?

The main problem with path difference in the Laue equation is that it assumes a perfect crystal lattice, with all atoms perfectly aligned and equidistant from each other. In reality, imperfections in the crystal structure can lead to variations in the path difference and therefore affect the accuracy of the diffraction pattern.

4. How can the problem with path difference be addressed?

To address the problem with path difference, scientists use techniques such as data averaging and crystal orientation refinement. Data averaging involves collecting multiple diffraction patterns from different regions of the crystal and combining them to reduce the impact of imperfections. Crystal orientation refinement involves rotating the crystal and collecting diffraction patterns from different orientations to obtain a more complete picture of the crystal structure.

5. What are the limitations of the Laue equation?

The Laue equation is limited by its assumptions of a perfect crystal and a monochromatic X-ray source. In real-world applications, crystals are rarely perfect and X-rays are not completely monochromatic, leading to deviations from the theoretical diffraction pattern predicted by the Laue equation. Additionally, the Laue equation does not account for the effects of crystal defects or disordered materials.