What is the derivative of ln(x^2 + y^2)?

In summary, to find the derivative of y with respect to x, use implicit differentiation and solve for dy/dx by multiplying both sides of the equation by (x^2 + y^2) and then rearranging the terms.
fk378

Homework Statement

Find y'

y=ln(x^2 + y^2)

Homework Equations

d/dx ln(u)= 1/u du/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

y' = [1/(x^2 + y^2)] (2x + 2y)
y' = (2x+2y)/(x^2 + y^2)

But my book says the answer is 2x/(x^2 + y^2 - 2y)

How can that be?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to be differentiating the y on the right hand side of the equation when you take the derivative of the entire equation.

Are you saying my first step should be:
dy/dx = (1/x^2 + y^2) [2x+2y(dy/dx)]

yes

this problem must be solved by implicit differentiation

I don't understand what the 2nd step would be though. So I have dy/dx on both sides, but isn't dy/dx what I want to solve for? Wouldn't they cancel each other out?

No, they won't cancel because one is multiplied by [itex][2y/(x^2+ y^2)][/itex]
(Please, don't write [itex]1/x^2+ y^2[/itex]! That's a completely different value).

Solve your equation for dy/dx.

What is the derivative of natural log?

The derivative of natural log is 1/x, where x is the input value of the natural log function.

How do you find the derivative of natural log?

To find the derivative of natural log, you can use the logarithmic differentiation method or the chain rule. The logarithmic differentiation method involves taking the natural log of both sides of the function and then using the power rule to simplify. The chain rule involves breaking the function into smaller parts and finding the derivative of each part separately.

What is the domain of the derivative of natural log?

The domain of the derivative of natural log is all real numbers except 0. This is because the derivative of natural log is undefined at x=0.

What is the graph of the derivative of natural log?

The graph of the derivative of natural log is a hyperbola with a vertical asymptote at x=0. It approaches 0 as x approaches positive or negative infinity.

What are some real-life applications of the derivative of natural log?

The derivative of natural log is used in many fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and economics. It can be used to model exponential growth and decay, as well as to find the rate of change of a quantity over time. In physics, it is used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of objects in motion. In finance and economics, it is used to calculate interest rates and compound growth.