Derivative of quotient with same variables on top and bottom

In summary, the student is asking for help in finding the partial derivative of a function with respect to m. They have attempted to rearrange the equation and use the chain rule, but are unsure if it is the correct approach. Another user suggests using the quotient rule or product rule to find the derivative.
bill nye scienceguy!

Homework Statement

a=g.[(M-m)/(M+m)]

how do i go about finding the partial derivative wrt m?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i started by rearranging it to the form a=g.(M-m)(M+m)^-1, i used the chain rule to find the derivative of (M+m)^-1 to be -(M+m)^-2 but I'm not sure where to go from there or even if that was the right approach to take. any help?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see why you would have a problem with this. Would you be able to find the derivative, with respect to x, of (x- m)/(x+ m) if m were a constant? What about (M-x)/(M+ x) if M is a constant? It's exactly the same thing.

You can write (M-m)(M+m)-1 and use the chain rule together with the product rule or you can keep it as (M-m)/(M+m) and use the quotient rule.

What is the formula for finding the derivative of a quotient with the same variables on the top and bottom?

The formula for finding the derivative of a quotient with the same variables on the top and bottom is (f'(x)g(x) - f(x)g'(x))/[g(x)]^2, where f(x) and g(x) are the numerator and denominator functions, respectively.

What is the power rule for finding the derivative of a quotient with the same variables on the top and bottom?

The power rule for finding the derivative of a quotient with the same variables on the top and bottom is to differentiate the numerator and denominator separately, and then divide the two derivatives. For example, if the quotient is (x^2 + 2x + 3)/(x^2 + 1), the derivative would be [(2x + 2)(x^2 + 1) - (x^2 + 2x + 3)(2x)]/(x^2 + 1)^2.

What is the general rule for finding the derivative of a quotient with the same variables on the top and bottom?

The general rule for finding the derivative of a quotient with the same variables on the top and bottom is to use the quotient rule, which is (f'(x)g(x) - f(x)g'(x))/[g(x)]^2, where f(x) and g(x) are the numerator and denominator functions, respectively.

Can the quotient rule be applied to any quotient with the same variables on the top and bottom?

Yes, the quotient rule can be applied to any quotient with the same variables on the top and bottom, regardless of the complexity of the functions. However, it may be easier to use other derivative rules, such as the power rule or product rule, in some cases.

How does the quotient rule differ from the power rule and product rule?

The quotient rule differs from the power rule and product rule in that it specifically deals with finding the derivative of a quotient, while the power rule and product rule deal with finding the derivative of a single function or the product of two functions, respectively. The quotient rule also involves subtracting the product of the derivatives of the numerator and denominator, while the other rules involve adding or multiplying the derivatives of the individual functions.