Derivative Problem involving Natural Log

In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating the derivative of the function p(x) = (5x)-ln(5x) and mentions the equations \frac{d}{dx}lnx = \frac{1}{x} and the technique of logarithmic differentiation. The person asking for help is having difficulty implementing the chain rule and is looking for advice on how to approach the problem.
SMA83

Homework Statement

Evaluate the derivative of the following function:

p(x) = (5x)-ln(5x)

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex]lnx = [tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex]
Not sure what else...

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I will have to use the chain rule in this problem, but actually implementing it is giving me problems. I wish I could give more of an attempt, but I don't really even know where to start. Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
have you heard of the technique 'logarithmic differentiation'? it is where you take the log on both sides and then differentiate implicitly.

You could also use the fact that ab is defined as eb log a.

1. What is the derivative of ln(x)?

The derivative of ln(x) is equal to 1/x.

2. How do you solve a derivative problem involving natural log?

To solve a derivative problem involving natural log, you can use the rule of logarithmic differentiation. First, rewrite the function as ln(u), where u is the inside function. Then, take the natural log of both sides of the equation and use the chain rule to differentiate. Finally, solve for the derivative of the original function.

3. Can you use the product rule to find the derivative of a function with a natural log?

Yes, you can use the product rule to find the derivative of a function with a natural log. However, it may be easier to use logarithmic differentiation for more complex functions.

4. What is the second derivative of ln(x)?

The second derivative of ln(x) is equal to -1/x^2.

5. How do you find the critical points of a function involving natural log?

To find the critical points of a function involving natural log, you can take the first derivative and set it equal to 0. Then, solve for the value(s) of x. These values will be the critical points of the original function.