Derivative Problem: I'm Unsure of My Work

• Thread starter Lancelot59
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a function and a solution that needs to be verified. The person is unsure about their work and asks for clarification. A summary of the steps taken to solve the problem is provided, and it is concluded that the integral should cancel out in the final solution.
Lancelot59
I'm unsure of my work when completing this problem:

[tex]y=e^{-x^{2}} \int^{x}_{0} e^{t^{2}} dt + c_{1}e^{-x^{2}}[/tex]

I applied the product rule to the left bit.

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=e^{-x^{2}} e^{x^{2}} + e^{-x^{2}}(-2x)\int^{x}_{0} e^{t^{2}} dt + (-2x)c_{1}e^{-x^{2}}[/tex]

I'm fairly certain I did this wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that:
[tex] \int^{x}_{0} e^{t^{2}} dt [/tex]
Is a constant with respect to x, so you don't need to use the product rule, just treat it like any other constant

JHamm said:
I believe that:
[tex] \int^{x}_{0} e^{t^{2}} dt [/tex]
Is a constant with respect to x, so you don't need to use the product rule, just treat it like any other constant

No, this is a function with respect to x, so the product rule is valid here.

So I derived it correctly?

I'm certain you did it right. Why do you think otherwise?

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
I'm certain you did it right. Why do you think otherwise?

RGV

It's from a problem where I need to verify that it is a solution to:

[tex]y'+2xy=1[/tex]

I was concerned that the integral still containing the "t" variable wouldn't cancel, however upon re-inspection I think it should.

What is a derivative and why is it important?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is important because it allows us to determine how a function is changing at any given point and is used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

How do I know if my derivative calculation is correct?

The best way to ensure the accuracy of your derivative calculation is to double-check your work using the rules of differentiation and by using a calculator or software to verify your answer. Additionally, it is helpful to practice solving derivative problems to improve your skills and confidence in your work.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving derivative problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to apply the chain rule, mixing up the order of operations, and not fully simplifying your final answer. It is also important to pay attention to negative signs and to be careful when dealing with trigonometric functions.

How can I improve my understanding of derivatives?

To improve your understanding of derivatives, it is helpful to review the basic rules of differentiation, practice solving a variety of problems, and seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice exams. It can also be beneficial to work with a tutor or study group to clarify any confusing concepts.

What are some real-world applications of derivatives?

Derivatives have numerous real-world applications, including determining the velocity and acceleration of an object in physics, calculating marginal cost and revenue in economics, and finding the slope of a curve in engineering. They are also used in optimization problems, such as finding the minimum or maximum value of a function.