Derivatives, and a little bit of linear approxim

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of arctan(x^3) and the confusion surrounding it. The formula for the derivative of arctan is mentioned and the use of the chain rule is explained. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to review the chain rule for future calculus studies.
CookieSalesman

Homework Statement

I have to find the deriv
of ##f(x)=xArctan(x^{3})##

I just need an explanation of how the arctan works...
So I understand the rest, but just the deriv of arctan itself is confusing for me.
So the derivative of ##arctan(x)## just in general is ##\frac{1}{1+x^{2}}##

But if it's of ##arctan(x^{3})##
Then I'm not sure what is right

So on my test I was pretty sure that when I derived arctan, that the x^2 factor meant (x)^2, so I would have to put in ##x^3##, and then I'd get ##\frac{1}{1+x^{6}}##
(That's x to the 6th, because you'd mult the exps)

But... my test says I forgot to chain rule the ##x^{3}## that's inside of arctan(), but why did the teacher write (.3x^2) as the ##g'(x)##?But I also wrote ##\frac{1}{1+3x^{4}}##, which wasn't marked wrong as the deriv of ##arctan(x^{3})##, so.. I'm confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
If y = tan (x), then x = arctan (y), that is, arctan is the inverse function of tan.

For d/dx [arctan (x^3)], you should make the substitution u = x^3,

then d/dx [arctan (x^3)] = d/du [arctan (u)] * du/dx, by the chain rule.

The derivative of arctan u = 1/(1+u^2) [from the formula] and I'm sure you can calculate du/dx, when u = x^3

So.. wait I'm sorry, so then what's the formula?
On your last line I'm not so clear what you mean, sorry.

The last line just repeats the formula for the derivative of the arctan, with the argument of arctan being 'u' instead of 'x'. Then, because you differentiated arctan (u) with respect to 'x', and you know the relationship between 'u' and 'x', u = x^3, the chain rule calls for you to calculate du/dx and multiply that result by the derivative of arctan (u) to obtain the derivative of arctan (x^3).

I think you need to review the chain rule. It's going to come in handy if you continue to study calculus and take up integrals.

Related to Derivatives, and a little bit of linear approxim

1. What are derivatives?

Derivatives are mathematical tools used to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to its input variables. They are commonly used in calculus to solve problems involving rates of change and optimization.

2. How are derivatives calculated?

Derivatives are calculated using the rules of differentiation, which involve taking the limit of the change in a function over a small interval as the interval approaches zero. There are also various derivative formulas for specific types of functions, such as the power rule and chain rule.

3. What is the purpose of linear approximation?

Linear approximation is used to approximate the value of a function at a specific point by using the value and slope of the function at a nearby point. It is useful for estimating values and making predictions in situations where the exact value may be difficult to determine.

4. How is linear approximation related to derivatives?

Linear approximation is closely related to derivatives because it involves using the slope of a function, which is the derivative, to estimate the value of the function at a particular point. It is essentially a simplified version of the derivative formula.

5. What are some real-world applications of derivatives and linear approximation?

Derivatives and linear approximation have countless real-world applications, such as in economics for analyzing supply and demand curves, in physics for calculating velocity and acceleration, and in engineering for optimizing designs and predicting the behavior of systems. They are also used in finance and statistics for risk management and data analysis.