Derivatives of a Constant in a Trigonometric Function

In summary, constants are unchanging values in a mathematical expression, while derivatives measure the rate of change of a function with respect to its variables. Constants are important in mathematics because they simplify problem-solving, and they are related to derivatives in calculus, where constants are often used as coefficients. In real-life applications, constants and derivatives are used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. The main difference between a constant and a variable in mathematics is that a constant has a fixed value, while a variable can take on different values.
Jani08

Homework Statement

Find y'' if y=1/3(1+cos^2(√x))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I believe I got the first derivative right since the teacher marked ir right, but my real question here is what do I do with the 1/3? Is it ok to throw away the constant when I see derivative and just worry bout the other the thing in the parenthesis?

y'=1/3(cox√x)(-sin√x)(1/√x)
y''=??

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is ok.

if a is a constant
y=a*f(t)
then
dy/dt=a*df/dt

What are constants and derivatives?

Constants are values that remain unchanged throughout a given mathematical expression or equation. Derivatives, on the other hand, are measures of the rate of change of a given mathematical function with respect to one of its variables.

Why are constants important in mathematics?

Constants are important because they allow us to define and solve problems more easily. By assigning certain values as constants, we can focus on the variables in a mathematical expression and perform calculations more efficiently.

What is the relationship between constants and derivatives?

Constants and derivatives are related because, in calculus, derivatives of a function are expressed using constant values. These constants are typically seen as coefficients in front of the derivative notation.

How are constants and derivatives used in real-life applications?

Constants and derivatives are used in various real-life applications, such as in physics to calculate the velocity of an object, in economics to measure the rate of change in demand or supply, and in engineering to determine the slope of a curve.

What is the difference between a constant and a variable in mathematics?

A constant is a fixed value that does not change, while a variable is a quantity that can take on different values. In a mathematical expression, constants are typically represented by letters or symbols that do not change, while variables are represented by letters or symbols that can take on different values.