How Do You Derive the Acceleration Function from a Given Velocity Equation?

In summary, The acceleration is the derivative of the velocity with respect to time. The function is defined for a specific case of a car with power being supplied by a wattage, mass being measured in kilograms, and time being measured in seconds.
david98999

Homework Statement

Derive the function for the acceleration from this function

v=√(2P/M)(√T)

The answer is √(P/2MT)

I have tried many different attempts but I am still unable to reach this answer.
[/B]
I am sure the process to get to the answer is a simple one but for some reason I am unable to see it

Homework Equations

I use the normal method of deriving the function , for each variable i use anx^(n-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

We have 3 variables P , M and T

derivative of P

(1/2)P^(-1/2) =1/(2√P)

derivative of M

(-1/2)M^(-3/2)= -M^(-3/2)/2

Derivative of T

(1/2)T^(-1/2)= 1/(2√T)these answers do not make up the final sum as m is negative ,

I just need to understand the process to get to the answer for this particular sum , not the subject in generalI can derive and integrate functions (ex: 3x^2= 3(2)x^(2-1)=6x and 6x^2/2=3x^2)
its just that I do not understand how to derive this equation into the given answer ,
I have a mental block about this question.I would appreciate any help

Physics news on Phys.org
david98999 said:

Homework Statement

Derive the function for the acceleration from this function

v=√(2P/M)(√T)

The answer is √(P/2MT)

I have tried many different attempts but I am still unable to reach this answer.
[/B]
I am sure the process to get to the answer is a simple one but for some reason I am unable to see it

Homework Equations

I use the normal method of deriving the function , for each variable i use anx^(n-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

We have 3 variables P , M and T

derivative of P

(1/2)P^(-1/2) =1/(2√P)

derivative of M

(-1/2)M^(-3/2)= -M^(-3/2)/2

Derivative of T

(1/2)T^(-1/2)= 1/(2√T)these answers do not make up the final sum as m is negative ,

I just need to understand the process to get to the answer for this particular sum , not the subject in generalI can derive and integrate functions (ex: 3x^2= 3(2)x^(2-1)=6x and 6x^2/2=3x^2)
its just that I do not understand how to derive this equation into the given answer ,
I have a mental block about this question.I would appreciate any help

It's not clear what P and M stand for in the formula for velocity. Is T supposed to represent time?

The acceleration has a very specific definition: it is the derivative of the velocity with respect to time. If P or M are not functions of time, then they are treated as constants when taking any derivatives w.r.t. time.

SteamKing said:
It's not clear what P and M stand for in the formula for velocity. Is T supposed to represent time?

The acceleration has a very specific definition: it is the derivative of the velocity with respect to time. If P or M are not functions of time, then they are treated as constants when taking any derivatives w.r.t. time.

sorry the function is to find the velocity of an alfa romero car , p= the power in watts , m is the mass and t is the time , the question wants me to derive the velocity as a function of time

david98999 said:
the question wants me to derive the velocity as a function of time

So M and P are constants ... You should only differentiate with respect to time.

You are right I did as you said

√(2p/m)*√t

a=dv/dt=(2p/m)^(1/2) x t^1/2 = 2^(-1) x (2p/m) ^(1/2) x t^(-1/2)
= √(2p/(m(2)^2)t)= √(p/2mt)

I had a feeling it was a simple error , I'm sorry I wasted every ones' time.
Thank you for your help

What is a velocity function?

A velocity function is a mathematical representation that describes the rate of change of an object's position over time. It is typically denoted by v(t) or ƒ(t) and is measured in units of distance per time.

How do you derive a velocity function?

To derive a velocity function, you must first determine the position function of the object, which describes its position as a function of time. Then, you can take the derivative of the position function with respect to time, which will give you the velocity function.

What is the importance of a velocity function?

A velocity function is important because it allows us to analyze the motion of an object, including its speed and direction, at any given point in time. It also helps us understand how the object's position is changing over time.

What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object over a given period of time, while instantaneous velocity is the object's velocity at a specific moment in time. Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time, while instantaneous velocity is calculated by taking the derivative of the position function at a specific time point.

Can a velocity function be negative?

Yes, a velocity function can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial position. For example, if an object starts at position 10 and its velocity function is -2, it means that the object is moving in the negative direction and its position at time t is given by 10 - 2t.