1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derive a Velocity function

1. Jul 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Derive the function for the acceleration from this function

v=√(2P/M)(√T)

The answer is √(P/2MT)

I have tried many different attempts but I am still unable to reach this answer.

I am sure the process to get to the answer is a simple one but for some reason I am unable to see it

2. Relevant equations
    I use the normal method of deriving the function , for each variable i use anx^(n-1)

3. The attempt at a solution

We have 3 variables P , M and T

derivative of P

(1/2)P^(-1/2) =1/(2√P)

derivative of M

(-1/2)M^(-3/2)= -M^(-3/2)/2

Derivative of T

(1/2)T^(-1/2)= 1/(2√T)

these answers do not make up the final sum as m is negative ,

I just need to understand the process to get to the answer for this particular sum , not the subject in general

I can derive and integrate functions (ex: 3x^2= 3(2)x^(2-1)=6x and 6x^2/2=3x^2)
    its just that I do not understand how to derive this equation into the given answer ,
    I have a mental block about this question.I would appreciate any help

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not clear what P and M stand for in the formula for velocity. Is T supposed to represent time?

The acceleration has a very specific definition: it is the derivative of the velocity with respect to time. If P or M are not functions of time, then they are treated as constants when taking any derivatives w.r.t. time.

4. Jul 13, 2015 #3
    sorry the function is to find the velocity of an alfa romero car , p= the power in watts , m is the mass and t is the time , the question wants me to derive the velocity as a function of time

5. Jul 13, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So M and P are constants ... You should only differentiate with respect to time.

6. Jul 13, 2015 #5
    You are right I did as you said

√(2p/m)*√t

a=dv/dt=(2p/m)^(1/2) x t^1/2 = 2^(-1) x (2p/m) ^(1/2) x t^(-1/2)
    = √(2p/(m(2)^2)t)= √(p/2mt)

I had a feeling it was a simple error , i'm sorry I wasted every ones' time.
    Thank you for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted