1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derive Schrodinger equation

1. Jan 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am reading Mathematical Concepts of Quantum Mechanics (Stephen J. Gustafson, Israel Michael Sigal. Second edition). The book would like to find an evolution equation which would lead to the Hamilton-Jacobi equation
    $$\frac{\partial S}{\partial t}=-h(x, \nabla S) $$
    in the way the wave equation led to the eikonal one. The book also says that ##\phi (x, t) = a(x, t) \exp( i S(x,t)/\hbar)##. So I express ##S(x,t)## using ##\phi (x,t)## and substitute back to the Hamilton-Jacobi equation, taking ##h (x, \nabla S) = \frac{1}{2m}|\nabla S|^2+V(x)##.

The book means to take the leading terms when ##\hbar## small compared to a typical classical action ##S## and restore Schrodinger equation. I am kind of lost during the derivation.

2. Relevant equations
    After the substitution, I have
    $$i\hbar\partial_t \phi=-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}[(\frac{\nabla \phi}{\phi}-\frac{\nabla a}{a})^2-\frac{2im\partial_t a}{a\hbar}]\phi+V(x)\phi.$$
    Comparing with Schrodinger equation, I figure that the leading term of
    $$[(\frac{\nabla \phi}{\phi}-\frac{\nabla a}{a})^2-\frac{2im\partial_t a}{a\hbar}]\phi$$
    should equal to ##\Delta_x \phi##, but don't know how.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not sure what to search for the problem, but wiki have something on this. A nonlinear variant of the Schrödinger equation is expressed as
    $$i\hbar\partial_t \phi=-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{(\nabla \phi)^2}{\phi}+V(x)\phi.$$
    I am not sure what a nonlinear Schrödinger equation is after realizing it's not the same thing as the Schrödinger equation.

The book's goal seems to be the linear Schrödinger equation. Even though I do see how to obtain the nonlinear Schrödinger equation, I am not sure why ##(\frac{\nabla \phi}{\phi})^2## is a leading term. Could someone help me with this?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2015 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can derive it in the following way:

1. Let [itex]\phi = a e^{\frac{iS}{\hbar}}[/itex]
    2. Compute [itex]\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} \nabla^2 \phi[/itex] in terms of [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]S[/itex] and only keep the lowest-order terms, in powers of [itex]\hbar[/itex]
    3. Similarly, compute [itex]i \hbar \frac{d}{dt} \phi[/itex] in terms of [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]S[/itex] and keep the lowest-order terms in powers of [itex]\hbar[/itex].
    4. Now, use the fact that [itex]\frac{(\nabla S)^2}{2m} + V = -\frac{d}{dt} S[/itex] to show that the results of 2 and 3 are equal (to lowest order in [itex]\hbar[/itex])

4. Jan 16, 2015 #3
    Thanks! It was my first attempt, which never really got carried out. I thought ##\nabla^2\phi## can bring in ##1/\hbar^2## and ##\partial_t \phi## only ##1/\hbar##....... And I just go through it and all is fine.
    And now I kind of want to ask what's the story about the wiki and the equation
    $$
    i\hbar\partial_t \phi=-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{(\nabla \phi)^2}{\phi}+V(x)\phi.$$

5. Jan 17, 2015 #4

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, if you let [itex]\phi = a e^{\frac{i}{\hbar} S}[/itex], then

[itex]\phi^* (-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \nabla^2 \phi) = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} a \nabla^2 a + \frac{\hbar^2}{2m} (\nabla a)^2 - \frac{i \hbar}{2m} (\nabla^2 S) a^2 + \frac{1}{2m} (\nabla S)^2 a^2[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} |\nabla \phi|^2 = \frac{\hbar^2}{2m} (\nabla a)^2 + \frac{1}{2m} (\nabla S)^2 a^2[/itex]

So the difference between them is [itex] -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} a \nabla^2 a - \frac{i \hbar}{2m} (\nabla^2 S) a^2[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted