Deriving expressions for Linear Expansivity and Young's Modulus

In summary: From this expression, we can see that the work done on the cylinder is directly proportional to the change in temperature and the square of the difference between the final and initial lengths of the cylinder.Now, we can use this expression for the work done to derive the expressions for the linear expansivity and Young's modulus. To find the linear expansivity, we can rearrange the above expression as follows:linear expansivity= 1/L(∂L/∂θ)- F held constant= CΔθ(L-Li)^2/L= CΔθ(L-Li)/L^2= Δθ/LThis expression shows that the linear expansivity, α, is
Jappey101

Homework Statement

The equation of state of a system consisting of a cylinder of a certain perfectly elastic material, subjected to an axial load F, is

F= CT(L-Li)^2

where Li is the unstretched length, L is the length under a load F when the temperature is T on a selected empirical scale and C is a constant.

DERIVE EXPRESSIONS FOR THE LINEAR EXPANSIVITY AND YOUNG'S MODULUS OF THE MATERIAL.

Homework Equations

dW=FdL

dL=(∂L/∂θ)- F held constant+(∂L/∂F)-θ held constant

linear expansivity=1/L(∂L/∂θ)- F held constant

young's modulus= (L/A)(∂F/∂L)-θ held constant

The Attempt at a Solution

I am lost. I tried integrating the formula, i tried expanding the equation of state, but all my attempts left me nowhere. I just need the first step because I am lost. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

The first step in deriving expressions for the linear expansivity and Young's modulus of the material is to understand the physical meaning and significance of these quantities. The linear expansivity is a measure of how much a material expands or contracts when subjected to a change in temperature. It is defined as the change in length per unit original length per unit change in temperature. On the other hand, Young's modulus is a measure of the stiffness or rigidity of a material, and it is defined as the ratio of stress to strain in a material under tension or compression.

To derive the expressions for these quantities, we can start by considering the formula for the work done on the cylinder, dW=FdL. This formula represents the small amount of work done on the cylinder when it is subjected to a small change in length, dL, under a constant load, F. We can rewrite this formula in terms of the variables in the equation of state, F= CT(L-Li)^2, as follows:

dW= CT(L-Li)^2 dL

Now, we can use the chain rule to express dL in terms of the variables in the equation of state, as shown in the Homework Equations section. This will give us the following expression:

dW= CT(L-Li)^2 [(∂L/∂θ)- F held constant] dθ

Next, we can integrate this expression to find the total work done on the cylinder between two temperatures, θ1 and θ2, as follows:

W= ∫dW= ∫CT(L-Li)^2 [(∂L/∂θ)- F held constant] dθ

= C∫(L-Li)^2 [(∂L/∂θ)- F held constant] dθ

= C(L-Li)^2 ∫[(∂L/∂θ)- F held constant] dθ

= C(L-Li)^2 [(∂L/∂θ)(θ2-θ1)- F(θ2-θ1)]

= C(L-Li)^2 [(L2-Li)-(L1-Li)]

= C(L2-L1)(L-Li)^2

= CΔθ(L-Li)^2

where Δθ=θ2-θ1 is the change in temperature and L2 and L1 are the lengths of the cylinder at temperatures θ

1. What is the definition of linear expansivity?

Linear expansivity, also known as thermal expansion, is the measure of how much a material's length, width, or volume changes in response to a change in temperature.

2. How is the expression for linear expansivity derived?

The expression for linear expansivity is derived by considering the change in length of a material as a function of temperature. This is typically done by conducting experiments and analyzing the data to determine the relationship between temperature and length change.

3. What is Young's modulus?

Young's modulus is a measure of the stiffness of a material and is defined as the ratio of stress to strain in a material under elastic deformation.

4. How is the expression for Young's modulus derived?

The expression for Young's modulus is derived by applying Hooke's law, which states that the stress in a material is directly proportional to the strain. This relationship can be determined through experiments and used to calculate the modulus of a material.

5. What are some factors that can affect the values of linear expansivity and Young's modulus?

The values of linear expansivity and Young's modulus can be affected by factors such as temperature, composition of the material, and the presence of impurities or defects in the material.