Deriving Hamiltonian for 2-DoF Aero-Elastic System

In summary, Dale is trying to figure out the Hamiltonian for a system of two particles, one of which is charged and in an electric and magnetic field. He has found an expression for the Hamiltonian in terms of the canonical momentum and generalised velocities, but is unable to write the Hamiltonian in terms of the generalised momentum and velocity.
thrillhouse86
Hi all,

I am in a bit of a dilly of a pickle of a rhubarb of a jam with determining the Hamiltonian of a specific system. For background information it is an 2-DoF aero-elastic system where I am (temporarily) neglecting the aerodynamic lift and moment terms.

Being an intrinsically engineering problem, the full equations of motion that include the lift and moment terms have been formulated using Newtonian mechanics. I have temporarily ignored these nonconservative terms and derived a Lagrangian which, upon applying the Euler-Lagrange equations reproduces the equations of motion.

Now I have determined the Hamiltonian by defining the canonical momentum as:
p_{i} = dL/dq{dot}_i and applied the Legendre transform (sure enough it is H = T + V) and I now have the Hamiltonian in terms of my generalised position and velocities - the problem is that I cannot for the life of me write the hamiltonian in terms of the generalised position and momentum.

So I guess my question is two-fold

1. Is there a systematic way of determining the Hamiltonian in terms of the generalized position & momentum given the Hamiltonian in terms of the generalised position and velocity ? Or is the only way a character building algebraic excersize ?

2. Is it possible to have a conservative system which has a Lagrangian but does not have a Hamiltonian ?

Cheeers,
Thrillhouse86

Physics news on Phys.org

It's been a long time, but
1) Isn't momentum simply the mass times velocity?
2)Acording to my old text, "Thus for a system in which L = T - V and in which the transformation equations don't explicitly contain the time, H is equal to the total energy of the system." i.e., H = T + V.

thrillhouse86 said:
Now I have determined the Hamiltonian by defining the canonical momentum as:
p_{i} = dL/dq{dot}_i and applied the Legendre transform (sure enough it is H = T + V) and I now have the Hamiltonian in terms of my generalised position and velocities - the problem is that I cannot for the life of me write the hamiltonian in terms of the generalised position and momentum.
Use the expressions for the canonical momenta (p_{i} = dL/dq{dot}_i), solve those for the generalized velocities and substitute into the Hamiltonian. Then you will have an expression in terms of generalized momenta rather than generalized velocities.

Thanks DaleSpam - it might be worth pointing out to anyone as dull as me that writing the relationship between the canonical momentum and the generalised velocities as a matrix equation gives one a systematic manner of writing the canonical momentum(s) in terms of the generalized velocities.

also thanks for trying to help me out Bob S - but I think what you are describing is the kinematic momentum - and this often, but is not necessarily the same as the canonical momentum. The classical example is to consider the canonical momentum for a charged particle in an electric and magnetic field - it turns out the canonical momentum is the classical momentum plus some term associated with charge and the electric field

thrillhouse86 said:
2. Is it possible to have a conservative system which has a Lagrangian but does not have a Hamiltonian ?
I have thought about this a bit and come to the conclusion that no, it is not possible. However, it is probably possible that the expressions for the canonical momenta may not be invertible in all cases and therefore there may not always be a closed-form expression for the generalized velocities in terms of the generalized momenta. That would mean that the Hamiltonian (although it would certainly exist) could only be found numerically.

thrillhouse86 said:
a bit of a dilly of a pickle of a rhubarb of a jam

Sounds like something that you'd find in Turbo's pantry.
Sorry... off-topic... :redface:

1. What is a 2-DoF Aero-Elastic System?

A 2-DoF Aero-Elastic System refers to a system that has two degrees of freedom and exhibits both aerodynamic and elastic behavior. This system can be used to model the dynamics of aircraft wings, wind turbines, and other structures that experience both aerodynamic forces and structural deformations.

2. Why is it important to derive a Hamiltonian for a 2-DoF Aero-Elastic System?

The Hamiltonian is a mathematical formulation that describes the energy of a system and its evolution over time. By deriving the Hamiltonian for a 2-DoF Aero-Elastic System, we can better understand the dynamics and behavior of the system, which is crucial for designing and controlling such systems.

3. How is the Hamiltonian derived for a 2-DoF Aero-Elastic System?

The Hamiltonian for a 2-DoF Aero-Elastic System can be derived using the Lagrangian formulation, which takes into account the kinetic and potential energies of the system. It involves solving a system of differential equations and applying the principle of least action. This results in a set of equations that describe the dynamics of the system in terms of its generalized coordinates and momenta.

4. What are the advantages of using the Hamiltonian formulation for a 2-DoF Aero-Elastic System?

The Hamiltonian formulation provides a concise and elegant way to describe the dynamics of a 2-DoF Aero-Elastic System. It allows for a better understanding of the system's energy behavior and can be used to develop control strategies for optimal energy management. Additionally, the Hamiltonian is a conserved quantity, making it useful for analyzing the stability of the system.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Hamiltonian formulation for a 2-DoF Aero-Elastic System?

While the Hamiltonian formulation is a powerful tool for understanding the dynamics of a 2-DoF Aero-Elastic System, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the system is in equilibrium and does not take into account any external disturbances or nonlinear effects. Additionally, it may be challenging to derive the Hamiltonian for complex systems with more than two degrees of freedom.