Deriving the Center of Mass of a Cone with Point Facing Downwards

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the center of mass of a cone with a pointed downward, of height H and radius R. The suggested method is to consider the cone as a stack of disks and integrate from 0 to H. The largest disk at x=H has a volume of pi*R^2*h, while the largest thin disk has a volume of dV = pi R^2 dx. The final calculation is 3/4 H.
dowjonez
I need to find the center of mass of a cone with point facing downwards, of height H and radius R.

Since the density is constant throughout and because of axial symmetry the center must be somewhere on the z-axis.

I know from convention that this is H/4 but i need to derive this.

Rcm = (intregral from 0 to H) of the change in radius

this is where I am stumped
i did really bad in calculus

could anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Consider the cone as a stack of disks.

Let Dv Be An Element In The Form Of A Disk That Cuts Through The Cone.

The Radius Of The Disk Is (r / H) X.

The Volume Equals The Area Of The Disk Times The Thickness.

Dv = Pi[(r / H ) X] ^2
Now Intergate From 0 To H

X' = Int (x Dv) / Int Dv = 3/4 H

okay so the biggest such disk would have volume pi*R^2*h

what is the volume of the disk under that?

the biggest *THIN* disk, at x = H, has radius r = xR/H,
so its Volume = dV = pi R^2 dx.

You need to integrate x from 0 to H .

Related to Deriving the Center of Mass of a Cone with Point Facing Downwards

1. What is the formula for finding the center of mass of a cone?

The formula for finding the center of mass of a cone is (1/4)h, where h is the height of the cone. This formula is derived from the fact that the center of mass of a cone is located at one-fourth of the distance from the base to the apex.

2. How is the center of mass of a cone different from that of a cylinder?

The center of mass of a cone is located at one-fourth of the distance from the base to the apex, while the center of mass of a cylinder is located at the midpoint of its height. Additionally, the cone's center of mass is closer to its base compared to the cylinder's center of mass.

3. What factors affect the center of mass of a cone?

The center of mass of a cone is primarily affected by its height and the distribution of its mass. A taller cone will have a higher center of mass, while a cone with a larger base and a thinner height will have a lower center of mass.

4. Can the center of mass of a cone be located outside of the cone?

No, the center of mass of a cone will always be located within the cone itself. This is because the cone's shape and distribution of mass do not allow for the center of mass to be located outside of it.

5. How is the center of mass of a cone important in real-life applications?

The center of mass of a cone is important in real-life applications such as designing structures and objects to be stable. Engineers and architects must consider the location of the center of mass in order to ensure that their designs will not topple over. Additionally, the center of mass is important in physics and mechanics calculations, such as determining the stability of a spinning cone.