Deriving Elastica Equation: Bernoulli/Newton

• Thread starter hushish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    deriving
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of obtaining the elastica equation from the classic Bernoulli's/Newton's equation. The steps involved include finding a formula for theta, using the Pythagorean theorem, and applying the Chain rule for differentiation. Finally, the conversation concludes with the solution, which involves finding the tangent of the polar angle and using the Chain rule again to obtain the final equation.
hushish
Hi,

Bernoulli's/Newton's classic elastica equation is of the form:

1) curvature = dθ/ds

The RHS reforms to the well known elastica equation:

2) d2y/d2x/(1+(dy/dx)2)3/2

How do I get from 1) to 2)?

Regards,

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there.

Your function has the form y=y(x).

Step 1. Find a formula for theta(x), the angle made by the tangent vector at point x.

Step 2. ds is the element of arclength. The Pythagorean thereom says that ds^2=dx^2+dy^2. Now do the algebra to solve for ds / dx and don't let your Intro Calc. professor see you treating differentials as if they were numbers subject to the normal algebraic rules.

Step 3. Use the Chain rule for differentiation.

Cheers

Thanks Vargo,

Help me out here. If I follow the steps you outline I get stuck:

1)ds= √dy2+dx2

2)sinθ=dy/√dy2+dx2

3)cosθ=dx/√dy2+dx2

4)1/ρ=dθ/ds

5)dsinθ/ds=cosθ.dθ/ds=cosθ/ρ

Now I'm stuck...

You have sin(theta) and cos(theta). What is tan(theta) as a function of x? Then take the arctan and you have theta(x).

Still no luck I'm afraid Vargo...

Alrighty,

Let P be a point in the plane with polar angle theta. Then tan(theta) represents the slope of the line connecting the origin to P. Similarly, the slope of any line is equal to the tangent of the polar angle of that line. In particular, if we have a curve y(x), then
y'(x) = tan(theta), where theta is the angle of the tangent line.

Therefore, theta = arctan(y'). We differentiate with respect to x and use the chain rule:
d theta / dx = y'' / (1+ (y')^2)

Now we know that ds/dx = sqrt( 1 +(y')^2 ), so using the Chain rule again, we find

d theta / ds = [y'' / (1+ (y')^2)]*[1 / sqrt( 1 +(y')^2 )] = y'' / (1 + (y') )^(3/2).

Brilliant-now I see it! Thanks a million Vargo.

1. What is the Derivation of the Elastica Equation?

The Elastica Equation is derived from the combination of the Bernoulli and Newton equations. It describes the equilibrium shape of an elastic rod or wire under a uniform load, taking into account both bending and stretching forces.

2. What is the significance of Bernoulli's and Newton's equations in the derivation?

Bernoulli's equation relates pressure, velocity, and height in a static fluid, and is used to calculate the bending forces acting on the elastic rod. Newton's equation of motion is used to determine the stretching forces acting on the rod. Combining these two equations allows for a comprehensive analysis of the equilibrium shape of the rod.

3. What are the assumptions made in the derivation of the Elastica Equation?

The derivation assumes that the rod is thin and flexible, and that the deflection is small. It also assumes that the elastic material has a constant cross-sectional area and is subject to a uniform load. Additionally, the derivation considers only the elastic deformation of the rod, neglecting any plastic or viscoelastic effects.

4. How is the Elastica Equation solved?

The Elastica Equation is a fourth-order differential equation, which can be solved using different methods such as the energy method or the shooting method. The energy method involves minimizing the total potential energy of the rod, while the shooting method involves numerically solving the equation using initial conditions.

5. What are the practical applications of the Elastica Equation?

The Elastica Equation has various applications in engineering and physics, particularly in the analysis and design of structures such as bridges, cranes, and suspension cables. It is also used in the study of biological systems, such as the bending of plant stems and the elastic properties of DNA.