Deriving the Poincare patch from global coordinates in AdS##_{3}##

In summary, the Poincare patch in AdS<sub>3</sub> is a coordinate system derived from a transformation and rescaling of the global coordinates, covering only a portion of AdS<sub>3</sub>. It is significant for its intuitive description of AdS<sub>3</sub> and its usefulness in studying the AdS/CFT correspondence. The Poincare patch metric is conformal to the global metric, but with a changed overall scale. It can also be extended to higher dimensions, but with different transformations. However, one limitation is that it does not cover the entire AdS<sub>3</sub> space and is not globally defined.
spaghetti3451
I have been reading Thomas Hartman's lecture notes (http://www.hartmanhep.net/topics2015/) on Quantum Gravity and Black Holes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In page 97, he derives (9.4), which is the metric of AdS##_{3}## in global coordinates:

$$ds^{2} = \ell^{2}(-\cosh^{2}\rho\ dt^{2} + d\rho^{2} + \sinh^{2}\rho\ d\phi^{2}).$$

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In page 100, he states that, expanding the metric at large ##r## under the coordinate change

$$t^{\pm} = t \pm \phi, \qquad \rho = \log(2r),$$

we can show that, to leading order, the induced metric on the hyperboloid AdS##_{3}## becomes

##ds^{2} = \ell^{2} \left(\frac{dr^{2}}{r^{2}}-r^{2}dt^{+}dt^{-}\right).##

I find, under the coordinate change, that

##ds^{2} = \ell^{2} \left(\frac{dr^{2}}{r^{2}} - \frac{1}{4}dt^{+2} - \left(r^{2} + \frac{1}{16r^{2}} \right) dt^{+}dt^{-} - \frac{1}{4}dt^{-2} \right).##

Of course, the term in ##1/r^{2}## drops off at large ##r## but I am not able to get rid of the components in ##dt^{+2}## and ##dt^{-2}##. Am I missing something here?

He then goes on to mention that these are Poincare coordinates, but does not make contact with the usual way in which the metric of AdS##_{3}## is written in Poincare coordinates:

$$ds^{2} = \frac{\ell^{2}}{z^{2}}(dz^{2}-dt^{2}+d\vec{x}^{2}).$$

What am I missing here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic. I have also read Thomas Hartman's lecture notes on Quantum Gravity and Black Holes and I agree with your observation. It seems that there may be a small mistake in the derivation on page 100. After expanding the metric at large r and performing the coordinate change, the induced metric does indeed become ds^2 = l^2 (dr^2/r^2 - r^2 dt+ dt-), as you have correctly pointed out. However, the terms in dt+^2 and dt-^2 should not be present as they do not appear in the usual form of the AdS3 metric in Poincare coordinates.

I believe the reason for this discrepancy may be due to a small error in the algebraic manipulation during the derivation. I suggest taking a closer look at the calculations and double checking to see if any steps were missed or if there was a mistake in the algebra. It is also possible that the author may have overlooked this error, as it does not affect the main result of the lecture notes.

In any case, it is important to note that the Poincare coordinates are a specific coordinate system chosen for convenience and may not be the most suitable for all calculations. The global coordinates used in the lecture notes may be more appropriate for some calculations and provide a different perspective on the physics involved.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of the topic. Please feel free to continue the discussion if you have any further questions or observations.

1. How is the Poincare patch derived from global coordinates in AdS3?

The Poincare patch in AdS3 is derived by taking a coordinate transformation of the global coordinates, which are defined as the entire AdS space. This transformation involves a change of coordinates and a rescaling of the metric, resulting in a new coordinate system that covers only a portion of AdS3. This portion is known as the Poincare patch.

2. What is the significance of the Poincare patch in AdS3?

The Poincare patch is significant because it allows for a more manageable and intuitive description of AdS3, making it easier to study and analyze. Additionally, the Poincare patch is useful in studying the AdS/CFT correspondence, as it provides a boundary to the AdS space where the dual CFT lives.

3. How is the metric in the Poincare patch different from the global metric in AdS3?

The metric in the Poincare patch appears differently than the global metric in AdS3 due to the coordinate transformation and rescaling. The Poincare patch metric is conformal to the global metric, meaning that the angles and relative distances between points are preserved, but the overall scale is changed.

4. Can the Poincare patch be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the concept of the Poincare patch can be extended to higher dimensions, such as AdS4 or AdS5. However, the specific coordinate transformation and rescaling would depend on the dimensionality of the AdS space.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Poincare patch in AdS3?

One limitation of the Poincare patch is that it only covers a portion of AdS3, so it cannot fully describe the entire space. Additionally, the Poincare patch is not a globally defined coordinate system, so it may not be suitable for certain calculations or comparisons with other coordinate systems.