Deriving the transport equation (PDE)

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and the multivariate chain rule to solve for u(t) and u(x) in an equation involving ut and kux. The proposed solution involves moving the LHS and RHS of the equation to the same side and using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to get u(t) + ku(x) = C, where C is a constant. The use of the multivariate chain rule is also mentioned.
King Tony

Homework Statement

Attached image please, sorry I tried LaTeXing and i failed super hard.

Homework Equations

Fundamental Theorem of Calculus
Multivariate chain rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm basically at a loss of words on this question. I might be thinking of this incorrectly but what my thoughts are is that the LHS of the equation will give ut and the RHS will give kux and then I can move them to the same side and get ut + kux = 0

Attachments

• HW1.1.png
    HW1.1.png
    20 KB · Views: 478
Physics news on Phys.org
.From there I think I can use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to get u(t) + ku(x) = C, where C is some constant. But then I'm not sure how to use the multivariate chain rule to solve for u(t) and u(x).

1. What is the transport equation?

The transport equation, also known as the advection equation, is a partial differential equation (PDE) that describes the evolution of a quantity, such as concentration or temperature, as it is transported by a flow field.

2. How is the transport equation derived?

The transport equation is derived by applying the principles of conservation of mass and the advection-diffusion equation, which takes into account the effects of both advection (transport by the flow field) and diffusion (random movement of particles) on the evolution of the quantity being transported.

3. What is the physical significance of the terms in the transport equation?

The advection term represents the transport of the quantity by the flow field, while the diffusion term accounts for the spreading of the quantity due to random motion. The source term takes into account any external sources or sinks of the quantity, such as chemical reactions or boundary conditions.

4. What are the assumptions made in deriving the transport equation?

The transport equation assumes that the flow field is steady and incompressible, and that the quantity being transported is conserved and has a continuous distribution. It also neglects any other forces or effects that may influence the transport of the quantity.

5. What are some applications of the transport equation?

The transport equation has numerous applications in various fields, such as fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and chemical engineering. It is commonly used to model the transport of pollutants in the atmosphere, the spread of contaminants in groundwater, and the diffusion of drugs in the human body.