How to Derive Using the Chain Rule for 2x^2+5xy-y^2=1?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the derivative of a function using the quotient rule, with the specific equation given as an example. The person asking for help got an answer but is unsure if it is correct and is seeking clarification and guidance from others.
lemonlee

Homework Statement

2x^2+5xy-y^2=1

Homework Equations

d/dx(f(u)x))=df/du * du/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

i got (2y-4x)/5x but I'm almost certain that its wrong...can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
lemonlee said:
i got (2y-4x)/5x but I'm almost certain that its wrong...can anyone help me?

Assuming that you are trying to find [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] (you didn't actually tell us what you are trying to calculate!), then it is wrong...However, I can't tell you what you did wrong since you haven't shown me what you did to get your answer...if you do that, I'll be able to help you :wink:

What is the chain rule in calculus?

The chain rule is a rule in calculus that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

How do you use the chain rule to find derivatives?

To use the chain rule, we first identify the outer function and the inner function. Then, we take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function.

Can the chain rule be used for any composite function?

Yes, the chain rule can be used for any composite function, as long as the inner and outer functions are both differentiable.

What are some common mistakes when using the chain rule?

Some common mistakes when using the chain rule include forgetting to take the derivative of the outer function, using the power rule incorrectly, and forgetting to multiply by the derivative of the inner function.

How is the chain rule related to the product rule and quotient rule?

The chain rule is a combination of the product rule and the chain rule. The product rule is used to find the derivative of two functions multiplied together, while the chain rule is used to find the derivative of a composite function. The quotient rule is used to find the derivative of a quotient of two functions.