Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Describing the motion of a graph.

1. Feb 18, 2012 #1
    Hi i have a graph given in kinematics. I need to describe the motion and calculate the average velocity during the entire duration. I have attached a picture. How would i calculate the average velocity

No equations give

I said that the velocity is not constant. I dont know if the average velocity woul dbe negative?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2012 #2
    How would you define average velocity?

[itex]\Delta v = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}[/itex]

Something like that, yes?
    Use that definition, what comes out?

4. Feb 18, 2012 #3
    Thanks for your reply. But would the average velocity be negative looking at the trend of the graph? And how would i describe this motion?

5. Feb 18, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

From your graph, it looks like x is 25 when t is about 2 and x is about 2 when t= 30. So what are [itex]\Delta x[/itex], [itex]\Delta t[/itex], and [itex]\Delta x/\Delta t[/itex]?

6. Feb 18, 2012 #5
    If you apply the definition of the average velocity you will see that it is negative since the change in position is definitely negative (it seems to start at some high x and ends up at x=0)
    So yes, the average velocity of would be negative.

To describe the motion, we could look at the average velocity between different times and see how they relate.

Between t=10 and t=20 the position has gone from x=15 to x=5, so the average velocity during this time is given as'

[itex]\Delta v = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t} = \frac{-10}{10} = -1[/itex]

If we look at the average velocity at some later time, say t=20 and t=30 the position has gone from x=5 to perhaps x~2 and so

[itex]\Delta v = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t} = \frac{-3}{10} = -0.3[/itex]

So we can see that the average velocity is decreasing as time increases.
    We can also see that the position is finally going to reach x=0 as t gets to be quite big.

We could describe this by saying that the position 'asymptotes' to x=0 for large t and that the velocity also 'asymptotes' to 0 for large t.

Do you understand my reasoning here?

7. Feb 18, 2012 #6
    Yes but what is the general description of this motion. Like is the object moving in an westward direction?

8. Feb 18, 2012 #7
    That depends on what direction you want to set as the positive x direction.
    If you set west as your positive x direction then you're moving westward, if you set north as your positive x direction then you're moving northward.
    It is completely up to you which direction you set positive x to be facing

9. Feb 18, 2012 #8
    I would say that approximatey 25m was covered in approximately 30 to 40 secs.
    So the only sensible answer for me is that the average velocity is between 25/30 and 25/40 m/s
    ie 0.83m/s and 0.63m/s

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook