Design a flywheel for my final year project

Main Question or Discussion Point

hi friends,i am going to design a flywheel for my final year project.how to design it? actually my project is electric bicycle.i am going to connect fly wheel with gears.my cycle will power by both manually & electrically.

Answers and Replies

First determine the power requirement of the flywheel (maybe 1/2 hp or so). Then determine the time the flywheel must deliver power. After this, determine the stored energy in the flywheel: Energy = Power X Time.

With the energy requirement, find a formula for energy stored in a flywheel. Then you can optimize dimensions, materials, angular velocity, and so on.

thank you.power requirement is 0.5 hp and time maximum 1 hr.i can find energy stored and how to calculate mass and dimension of fly wheel??? help me pls..and how select material also...

This link gives some basic formulas for flywheel stored energy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flywheel

To simplify the calculations, start with a solid cylinder made of steel.

You will find it will need to initially be spining very fast to make 1/2 hp for 1 min. You may need to reduce the power and time.

I would set up the equations in MathCAD or Excel.

k thanks

hi, i tell all about it. i ll attach gear setup in rear sprocket.and fly wheel connected to gear arrangement. we attach generator to charge batteries.our gear setup give as 3500 rpm and that shaft connected to flywheel k.max speed 3500 and min 1000.we use hub motor for front wheel and we use both manual and electric .we charge batteries for hub motor.give me detailed design for flywheel. please!!!!!!!!

russ_watters
Mentor

This is your project! We most certainly will not give you a detailed design!

k.i ll try

Do you think your flywheel might cause problems with steering and control?

no sir

sir wat ll be the co-eff of fluctuation value sir??for co-eff of fluct calculation wat is min and max value?is it fly wheel shaft speed or gear speed???

Last edited:

Do you think your flywheel might cause problems with steering and control?
no sir.but i have problem in design itself .how to calculate cs value?