1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Designing a circuit (basic electric circuit analysis)

1. Feb 22, 2013 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Design a dc circuit utilizing a 15V voltage battery to provide the following node voltages: +10V, +5V, and -5V w.r.t. a circuit ground node. Select your resistors such that the maximum power demand on the battery does not exceed 1mA.

The attempt at a solution

I've designed the attached circuit, but I'm not sure how to find the resistance for each circuit. I know that the total resistance of all four circuits must add up to 225000Ω using the calculations attached.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2013 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps start by marking the ground node and which nodes you intend being 10V, 5V and -5V. Hint: You only need 3 resistors all the same value.

4. Feb 22, 2013 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

mA is not a unit of power; it's a unit of current. Are you sure that the question states that it wants a power limit and not a current limit? Or is it just badly phrased and they really expect a current limit of 1mA? (it would make sense)
    Suppose you set a fixed current value. How many resistors do you think you'd need to provide three potential drops? Should the drops be of different or equal magnitude?

5. Feb 23, 2013 #4
    Alright. I'm trying that right now.

Hmm... I doubled checked the question and it seems that they used the wrong units. I guess I'll ask the professor or TA. I think they just wrote the wrong units, because that's an easy mistake to make.

Resistors cause voltage drops, so for 3 voltage drops, I would need three resistors. Since the increments are in equal value (i.e. -5, 0, 5, 10), then I guess that the resistors need to be all the same value.

6. Feb 23, 2013 #5
    I think I did it!

One question: how would I make (1) the ground node and still have the other nodes have voltages of: -5V, +5V, and +10V w.r.t. (1)?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  7. Feb 23, 2013 #6

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Yes, looks fine.
    You can't. Making node (1) the reference node would put the other nodes at -5, -10, -15 volts with respect to it.

8. Feb 24, 2013 #7

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you have the battery the wrong way around.

9. Feb 24, 2013 #8

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is how I would draw it.. Note how this layout has the higher voltage nodes at the top of the page and lower voltage/negative voltages at the bottom.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  10. Feb 24, 2013 #9
    I'm curious. What did you use to draw that circuit?

11. Feb 24, 2013 #10

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted