Designing a Magnetic Brake with Eddy Currents: A Mechanical Engineering Project

In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate student in Mechanical Engineering who has chosen to do a major project on a magnetic brake using eddy currents. They have attached four magnets to a body and placed it between two copper plates. However, they are struggling with determining the necessary variables and formulas for the project. They are seeking guidance and suggest using Wolfram's interactive demonstration and a journal reference for help.
Logan B
Hello there guys.I am currently doing an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering and in order to graduate I have to do a major project by my choosing.So i I chose а magnetic brake, using eddy currents principle.We all saw that cool videos in youtube with magnets and copper tube.So i came up with an idea.
As you can see in the attached file, there is a body on which i attached four magnets.Then i put that body between two copper plates.I think its a great idea, the only problem is i`m not so good in that area(lenz`s law, faraday`s law .. etc, etc ). So basically i`m asking for aid. How i can determine with formulas the thin of the plates, the distance needed for maximum slowing effect between the magnets and the copper plates, and what would be the formula for the length of the plates.
I`m not giving you any details and body`s mass, speed and etc, because you know, after all i need only guideline and i need to use my brain too, from time to time.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Idea.PDF
    22.1 KB · Views: 328
Science news on Phys.org
There are a lot of variables, which are difficult to quantify. For example, measuring the magnetic flux density. You should be able to determine that after fixing variables, such as magnet choice, gap distance, materials, the induced force is directly proportional to the velocity (but in the opposite direction). Then you can do some experiments to find a proportionality constant.

This is just a rough starting idea.

Wolfram has this neat interactive demonstration. You might want to check it out. There is an app to download, though if you want full interactive capability. http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/MagneticBraking/
Even they state that there are many variables, specific to the materials chosen and geometry. I did not read the journal reference, at the bottom. But I'm sure that it may provide you with some help.

Last edited:

1. What is a magnetic brake and how does it work?

A magnetic brake is a type of braking mechanism that uses eddy currents to slow down or stop the motion of a rotating object. It works by creating a magnetic field that induces eddy currents in a conductive material, which in turn creates a resistance force that opposes the motion of the object.

2. Why would someone want to design a magnetic brake with eddy currents?

Designing a magnetic brake with eddy currents can offer several advantages such as precise and smooth braking, low maintenance, and no physical contact between the braking components, making it suitable for high-speed applications.

3. What are the main components of a magnetic brake with eddy currents?

The main components of a magnetic brake with eddy currents include a rotating disc or drum, a stationary magnet, and a conductive material such as copper or aluminum. The strength and position of the magnet, as well as the size and material of the conductive material, play a crucial role in the effectiveness of the brake.

4. What are the key design considerations when creating a magnetic brake with eddy currents?

When designing a magnetic brake with eddy currents, it is important to consider factors such as the desired braking force, the speed and temperature of the rotating object, the strength and position of the magnet, and the type of conductive material used. It is also essential to ensure that the brake is designed to dissipate heat efficiently to prevent overheating.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a magnetic brake with eddy currents?

While magnetic brakes with eddy currents have many advantages, there are a few potential drawbacks to consider. These include the need for a power source to create the magnetic field, the possibility of overheating if not designed properly, and the potential for electromagnetic interference in sensitive electronic equipment.