Designing a Racking System for Sheet Metal Coils

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a racking system for storing sheet metal coils. The poster is unsure about the strength of the system and asks for help with the buckling equations. The system is complex and may require professional calculations to determine the maximum load it can withstand. It is recommended to purchase a commercial rack system, as they are equipped to handle these types of calculations. Additionally, it is important to note that codes require the allowable loads to be permanently posted on the rack system.
munza
Hi,

***I just noticed this that I posted this in the wrong section thinking I was in the engineering forum...sorry!***

I'm designing a racking system to store sheet metal coils (see attached sketch). I calculated the I and S values required and according to my calculations, 4 x 4 x 3/8 square tubing would
be strong enough. However, I'm not sure about buckling. Could somebody please tell me which equation to use (euler, jb johnson)?

Max coil weight: 8,500 lbs

Is this rack strong enough for the worst case scenario where all coils are 8,500 lbs?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• coilrack1.jpg
    coilrack1.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 553
Engineering news on Phys.org
The buckling equations for a column with simple or fixed end conditions are fairly simple, however this rack system is anything but simple. The failure mode that needs to be calculated is one where all of the columns buckle simultaneously. The entire assembly could flop over, or the columns could buckle in the middle. The rack shelves provide some restraint, but the connections are not rigid. I am not aware of any hand calculation method that can give a good answer to this problem.

Companies that make rack systems are set up to do the calculations, and this is a good reason to buy a commercial rack system. Note also that US and European machinery codes require that the allowable loads be permanently posted on the rack system.

Likes anorlunda

Related to Designing a Racking System for Sheet Metal Coils

1. What factors should be considered when designing a racking system for sheet metal coils?

When designing a racking system for sheet metal coils, it is important to consider the weight and dimensions of the coils, the storage space available, the type of material the coils are made of, and the handling equipment that will be used. It is also important to consider any safety regulations and guidelines for storing and handling sheet metal coils.

2. How should the sheet metal coils be stored in the racking system?

The sheet metal coils should be stored in a way that minimizes any potential damage or deformation. This can be achieved by storing the coils in a vertical position, with the heaviest coils at the bottom and lighter coils on top. It is also important to ensure that the coils are evenly spaced and supported to prevent them from shifting or falling.

3. What type of racking system is best for storing sheet metal coils?

The type of racking system that is best for storing sheet metal coils will depend on the specific needs and requirements of the facility. Some common options include cantilever racks, selective racks, and drive-in racks. It is important to choose a racking system that can support the weight and size of the coils and allows for safe and efficient storage and retrieval.

4. How can the racking system be optimized for space efficiency?

To optimize the racking system for space efficiency, it is important to consider the dimensions of the coils and the available storage space. This can help determine the most efficient layout and spacing for the racks. Additionally, using specialized racks, such as push-back racks or double-deep racks, can help maximize storage capacity while still allowing for easy access to the coils.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when designing a racking system for sheet metal coils?

Safety should be a top priority when designing a racking system for sheet metal coils. It is important to follow all safety regulations and guidelines, such as proper load capacity and spacing between racks. The racking system should also be regularly inspected and maintained to ensure its stability and integrity. Proper training for employees on safe handling and storage of sheet metal coils should also be provided.