Designing basic circuits to power devices

In summary, to properly power the device with a required terminal voltage of 12 volts and a current of 2 Amps, a circuit using 3 ohm resistors is needed. The EMF of 24 volts can be reduced to 12 volts using a combination of series and parallel circuits. Ohm's law can be used to calculate the resistance of the device.
alexk307

Homework Statement

Device requires a terminal voltage of 12 volts and a current of 2 Amps. Design a circuit using as many 3 ohm resistors as needed to properly power this device. The EMF is 24 Volts.

Homework Equations

Ohm's law: V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find equivalent resistance, but I don't know how to dissipate some of the voltage, in this case, get the voltage from 24 down to 12.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the resistance of the device from the fact that V=12V and I=2A.
If the pd across it is to be 12V but the supply is 24V, then you need a circuit in which there is 12V combined across the available 3 ohm resistors and 12V across the device.
Does that help? Try both a series and parallel circuit to see which will do the job.

FAQ: Designing basic circuits to power devices

What is a basic circuit?

A basic circuit is a closed loop of electrical components that allows for the flow of electricity from a power source to a device. It typically consists of a power source, conductive wires, and a load or device that uses the electrical energy.

What is the purpose of designing a circuit?

The purpose of designing a circuit is to provide a reliable and efficient way to power devices. By designing a circuit specifically for a device, it ensures that the device receives the correct amount of power and operates properly.

What are the essential components of a circuit?

The essential components of a circuit include a power source, conductive wires, resistors, capacitors, inductors, and a load or device. These components work together to control the flow of electricity and power the device.

How do I choose the right components for my circuit?

When choosing components for a circuit, it is important to consider the voltage and current requirements of the device, as well as the type of power source being used. It is also important to choose components that are compatible with each other and can handle the required amount of power.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when designing a circuit?

Some common mistakes to avoid when designing a circuit include using incorrect or incompatible components, not considering the voltage and current requirements of the device, and not properly securing or insulating the circuit. It is also important to double check all connections and ensure they are secure to prevent short circuits.

Back