Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Desolder and solder IC with power pad under

1. Sep 21, 2016 #1
    Hi

I need to find a rework station to desolder and solder IC with power pad under the IC. What I mean is IC with a metal contact at the bottom that you solder onto the ground plane on the pcb for better heat conduction.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You would use a hot air rework/soldering gun with an appropriate-size nozzle. Have you used a hot air rework station before? BTW, I'm pretty sure you mean a ground pad under the part, not a power pad, correct? :smile:

4. Sep 21, 2016 #3
    Check Ebay. Here's one for $50USD. I've never used that one so I don't endorse it in any way. X-Tronic brand stations run about $130.

Are you in school? Schools have labs where I'm sure they'll let you use one.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  5. Sep 21, 2016 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

6. Sep 21, 2016 #5
    Thanks Berk, I fixed it.

7. Sep 25, 2016 #6

rbelli1

Gold Member

It is called a power pad because it allows the device to dissipate more power safely. It is usually ground but can be isolated or something else.

BoB

8. Sep 26, 2016 #7
    Usually I see it called a thermal pad in data sheets. It's typically a ground connection but not always. They work really well for dissipating heat if you use a proper ground plane on the PCB. I've actually hand soldered thermal pads by putting a big via under it. If you design your PCB for it you don't ~have~ to use hot air or reflow.

9. Sep 26, 2016 #8

rbelli1

Gold Member

PowerPad may be a copyrighted/trademarked term for that.

BoB

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted