Desolder and solder IC with power pad under

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ic Power
In summary: It is called a power pad because it allows the device to dissipate more power safely. It is usually ground but can be isolated or something else.
yungman
Hi

I need to find a rework station to desolder and solder IC with power pad under the IC. What I mean is IC with a metal contact at the bottom that you solder onto the ground plane on the pcb for better heat conduction.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
yungman said:
Hi

I need to find a rework station to desolder and solder IC with power pad under the IC. What I mean is IC with a metal contact at the bottom that you solder onto the ground plane on the pcb for better heat conduction.

Thanks
You would use a hot air rework/soldering gun with an appropriate-size nozzle. Have you used a hot air rework station before? BTW, I'm pretty sure you mean a ground pad under the part, not a power pad, correct? :smile:

Check Ebay. Here's one for $50USD. I've never used that one so I don't endorse it in any way. X-Tronic brand stations run about $130.

Are you in school? Schools have labs where I'm sure they'll let you use one.

Last edited:
Likes yungman and davenn
Likes Aaron Crowl
Thanks Berk, I fixed it.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
I'm pretty sure you mean a ground pad under the part, not a power pad, correct?

It is called a power pad because it allows the device to dissipate more power safely. It is usually ground but can be isolated or something else.

BoB

Usually I see it called a thermal pad in data sheets. It's typically a ground connection but not always. They work really well for dissipating heat if you use a proper ground plane on the PCB. I've actually hand soldered thermal pads by putting a big via under it. If you design your PCB for it you don't ~have~ to use hot air or reflow.

PowerPad may be a copyrighted/trademarked term for that.

BoB

What is desoldering and soldering an IC with a power pad under?

Desoldering and soldering an IC with a power pad under refers to the process of removing and replacing an integrated circuit (IC) that has a power pad located on the underside of the chip. This requires special techniques and equipment to ensure proper connection and functionality.

Why is it important to desolder and solder an IC with a power pad under?

It is important to desolder and solder an IC with a power pad under because it allows for better heat dissipation and can prevent damage to the IC and surrounding components. It also ensures a secure connection, which is crucial for the proper functioning of the circuit.

What tools are needed for desoldering and soldering an IC with a power pad under?

The tools needed for desoldering and soldering an IC with a power pad under include a soldering iron, desoldering braid or pump, flux, and tweezers. It may also be helpful to have a magnifying glass or microscope to see the small components more clearly.

What are the steps for desoldering and soldering an IC with a power pad under?

The steps for desoldering and soldering an IC with a power pad under are as follows:

1. Apply flux to the power pad and surrounding pins.
  2. Heat the solder joints using a soldering iron and remove the excess solder with desoldering braid or a desoldering pump.
  3. Gently lift the IC using tweezers, being careful not to damage any surrounding components.
  4. Clean the pads and power pad with isopropyl alcohol and a cotton swab.
  5. Apply flux to the pads and power pad.
  6. Align the new IC on the pads and power pad, and secure it in place with tape if needed.
  7. Heat the solder joints using a soldering iron and add a small amount of solder to each joint.
  8. Remove the tape and clean any excess flux with isopropyl alcohol.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when desoldering and soldering an IC with a power pad under?

Some common mistakes to avoid when desoldering and soldering an IC with a power pad under include using too much heat, not using enough flux, and not properly aligning the IC on the pads. It is also important to be careful not to damage any surrounding components and to clean the area thoroughly before and after the process.