Desolder and solder IC with power pad under

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi

I need to find a rework station to desolder and solder IC with power pad under the IC. What I mean is IC with a metal contact at the bottom that you solder onto the ground plane on the pcb for better heat conduction.

Thanks

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Hi

I need to find a rework station to desolder and solder IC with power pad under the IC. What I mean is IC with a metal contact at the bottom that you solder onto the ground plane on the pcb for better heat conduction.

Thanks
You would use a hot air rework/soldering gun with an appropriate-size nozzle. Have you used a hot air rework station before? BTW, I'm pretty sure you mean a ground pad under the part, not a power pad, correct? :smile:

Check Ebay. Here's one for $50USD. I've never used that one so I don't endorse it in any way. X-Tronic brand stations run about $130.

Are you in school? Schools have labs where I'm sure they'll let you use one.

Last edited:
Likes yungman and davenn
Thanks Berk, I fixed it.

Likes berkeman
rbelli1
Gold Member
I'm pretty sure you mean a ground pad under the part, not a power pad, correct?
It is called a power pad because it allows the device to dissipate more power safely. It is usually ground but can be isolated or something else.

BoB

Usually I see it called a thermal pad in data sheets. It's typically a ground connection but not always. They work really well for dissipating heat if you use a proper ground plane on the PCB. I've actually hand soldered thermal pads by putting a big via under it. If you design your PCB for it you don't ~have~ to use hot air or reflow.

rbelli1
Gold Member
PowerPad may be a copyrighted/trademarked term for that.

BoB