Physics GRE Exam Experience: Completely Destroyed and Glad it's Over

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of the Physics GRE exam and its importance in the graduate school application process. The participants share their experiences and opinions on the exam and its impact on their chances of getting into graduate school. They also discuss the importance of preparing for the exam and taking practice tests. Overall, the conversation highlights the significance of the Physics GRE in determining one's success in graduate school.
PhysicsGente
Did anyone take the exam this last Saturday? I got completely destroyed. To be honest, I thought it'd be much, much easier ;(. Anyway, I'm glad it was the first and last time I take it.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you had a reason to take it in the first place, why would you not be glad if you could take it again, assuming that you did in fact do poorly? The reason you have for taking it doesn't change due to your doing badly. Wouldn't you want a chance to improve your score if you could?

Had you tried taking a practice exam, like http://www.ets.org/gre/subject/about/content/physics?

Dang. I got a good enough GRE score for grad school back in my day and didn't take advantage of it. :cry:

Sorry, but this is a sad thing for me to hear.

PhysicsGente said:
... I got completely destroyed. To be honest, I thought it'd be much, much easier...
A lot of people don't realize that many standardized tests are designed to produce a mean score of 50%, or somewhere in that ballpark. If you are used to typical classroom tests that have average percentages in the 70s or 80s, it's easy to think you did worse on a test like the GRE than you really did. So you won't really know until you see your test results.

phinds said:
If you had a reason to take it in the first place, why would you not be glad if you could take it again, assuming that you did in fact do poorly? The reason you have for taking it doesn't change due to your doing badly. Wouldn't you want a chance to improve your score if you could?

I wouldn't take it again because there is no point anymore (it is too expensive as well). I'm applying to grad schools this year and there is no more PGRE offered until next year.

Redbelly98 said:
Had you tried taking a practice exam, like http://www.ets.org/gre/subject/about/content/physics?

I took the practice exam but it didn't feel as hard as the one I had to take. Maybe it was the time pressure, or maybe not. I don't know. I already know I made a few silly mistakes about stuff I know since years ago ...

One practice exam? What did you expect? Most people who are serious about grad-school study for months for the PGRE, and take all five of the possible back-exams out there.

You should have done every single one of them, some for just practice problems, and some under the true test conditions. If you barely prepared, then you should expect to get a bad score, which is going to affect your chances of getting into grad school.

dipole said:
One practice exam? What did you expect? Most people who are serious about grad-school study for months for the PGRE, and take all five of the possible back-exams out there.

You should have done every single one of them, some for just practice problems, and some under the true test conditions. If you barely prepared, then you should expect to get a bad score, which is going to affect your chances of getting into grad school.

I doubt taking old exams under test conditions would have helped. Also, I don't think the exam is going to affect my chances of getting into graduate school.

Well I'm sorry you feel that way, but unless you applied to fairly low-ranked schools, the PGRE is far more important than your GPA or any other score. It's second only to letters of recommendation and research experience.

dipole said:
Well I'm sorry you feel that way, but unless you applied to fairly low-ranked schools, the PGRE is far more important than your GPA or any other score. It's second only to letters of recommendation and research experience.

Where in all hell did you get this idea from? I'm actually laughing right now.

I got the idea from actually going through the grad-school application process, speaking with people on admission committees, and to senior graduate students and also looking at data my old department had collected correlating PGRE score with acceptance rate.

Also, you know, you could just read almost any good schools website and look at their requirements and see for yourself the fact that a lot of emphasis is placed on the PGRE.

You, I assume like the OP, are an undergrad with no first-hand experience. So where exactly did you get your ideas? Dare I say?

dipole said:
I got the idea from actually going through the grad-school application process, speaking with people on admission committees, and to senior graduate students and also looking at data my old department had collected correlating PGRE score with acceptance rate.

Also, you know, you could just read almost any good schools website and look at their requirements and see for yourself the fact that a lot of emphasis is placed on the PGRE.

You, I assume like the OP, are an undergrad with no first-hand experience. So where exactly did you get your ideas? Dare I say?

ZapperZ said:
I had a conversation with two profs. who are in the graduate admission committee from U. of Chicago and U. of Illinois at Chicago, and they both told me they don't even care about the GRE! :)

I think the issue here isn't the acceptance into grad school. There are many schools that will accept you even with a mediocre grade, if you're paying full fare. The question is, can you survive? There are many schools in which at least 1/2 of the incoming applicants could not make it past the qualifier. One would be setting one up for a disappointment, not to mention wasted resources and at least 2 years of one's life, not being able to continue pursuing the physics graduate degree. That's why I raise the bar on the GRE a little bit, especially since the GRE is considerably easier than most qualifying exams.

Zz.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=472515&postcount=7

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

1. What is the Physics GRE exam and why is it important?

The Physics GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is a standardized test that assesses a student's knowledge and understanding of physics at an advanced level. It is often required for admission into graduate programs in physics and related fields. A high score on the Physics GRE can strengthen a student's application and increase their chances of being accepted into top graduate programs.

2. How did you prepare for the Physics GRE exam?

I spent several months studying and reviewing concepts in physics, particularly in areas that I felt less confident in. I also took several practice exams to familiarize myself with the format and types of questions asked. Additionally, I sought advice from other students who had taken the exam and utilized study materials such as review books and online resources.

3. What makes the Physics GRE exam challenging?

The Physics GRE exam covers a wide range of topics in physics, from classical mechanics to quantum mechanics, and requires a deep understanding of these concepts. It also tests the ability to quickly analyze and solve complex problems under time pressure. Additionally, the exam is known for its tricky and unconventional questions, making it a challenging test for many students.

4. What was your experience like taking the Physics GRE exam?

My experience taking the Physics GRE exam was intense and mentally draining. The exam was more difficult than I had anticipated, and the time constraint added to the pressure. However, I was glad that I had thoroughly prepared for it, which helped me to remain focused and calm throughout the exam.

5. What advice do you have for other students preparing for the Physics GRE exam?

My advice would be to start studying early and consistently. Review and practice as many concepts and problems as you can, and don't neglect any topic. Take practice exams to get familiar with the format and to identify areas where you need to focus more. Also, don't forget to take breaks and take care of your mental and physical well-being. Remember, a high score on the Physics GRE is just one aspect of your graduate school application, so don't let it consume you. Good luck!