1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Destructive Interference with Different Wave Shapes

1. Dec 4, 2005 #1
    Here is the question

An upright square pulse and an inverted triangular pulse were directed toward each other on a spring, as shown in the illustration. Sketch the appearance of the spring at the instant the two pulses met and completely overlapped. What principle did you use in constructing the shape of the spring for the instant at which the two pulses met? What does this principle state about how waves combine?

i couldnt get the picture in but i think the questions explain it enough

I am assuming the triangle and the square have the same base and height length. I know a triangle is bh\2. Therefore it is smaller than the square. Does this mean the sqaure takes over the triangle like this:

a small square above the string.

What principle is this

thanks

Last edited: Dec 4, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2005 #2

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

I'm sorry I have difficulty understanding your drawings, but I believe that what is going on is that you have two pulses on a tight spring traveling towards one another. I believe the word you are looking for to describe the method you would use to sketch the solution is "superposition". This principle says that you can simply add the contributions of each pulse at every point to get the total solution. So what you've got to do is add the height of the triangle to that of the square. Since the hiegts have opposite signs they will tend to reduce each other rather than reinforce each other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?