1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Detector error

1. Nov 23, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I came across a question in an exam which I couldn't really relate to any topic of physics, that I had studied.
    It goes like this-

A detector is used to count the number of gamma rays emitted by a radioactive source. If the number of counts recorded in exactly 20 seconds is 10000, the error in the counting rate per second is?

Can someone please let me know what concept is involved so that I can try and solve it?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2014 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

What is the statistical distribution which describes the number of counts in 20 s?

4. Nov 23, 2014 #3
    No distribution was given with the question Dale.

5. Nov 23, 2014 #4

Dale

The distribution for this kind of problem won't be given in the question itself. It is well known and would certainly have been covered extensively in the reading.

Which distributions were covered in the reading, and what do those distributions describe?

6. Nov 23, 2014 #5
    I got it Dale. Its poisson distribution.
    and the error in counting rate per second will be sqroot(500) which is 22.4.

Thanks a lot!

7. Nov 23, 2014 #6

Dale

Good job!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook