Determine Activation Energy from rate?

In summary, activation energy is the minimum amount of energy needed for a chemical reaction to take place and is determined by measuring the reaction rate at different temperatures and using the Arrhenius equation. It is important in understanding reaction mechanisms and predicting how temperature changes will affect reaction rates. Factors such as experimental errors and the complexity of the reaction can affect the accuracy of determining activation energy. Activation energy cannot be negative as it represents the minimum energy needed for a reaction to occur.
jtruth914
On my test the professor gave us the rate, parameters of A, and temperature of 298K. We were asked to find the activation energy. I know that the Arrhenius equation is LnK= LnA-Ea/RT. However, he did not give us the rate constant "K" instead he gave us the rate. How do you determine activation energy using the rate.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Did he tell you the reaction, the concentration of reactants, and the rate law?

No he didn't. I assumed it was a zeroth order reaction where k=rate. Even though he didn't specify that. That's what confused me.

1. What is activation energy?

Activation energy is the minimum amount of energy required for a chemical reaction to occur. It is the energy that must be overcome in order for the reactants to form products.

2. How is activation energy determined?

Activation energy can be determined by measuring the rate of a chemical reaction at different temperatures and using the Arrhenius equation to calculate the activation energy. This equation relates the rate constant of a reaction to the temperature and activation energy.

3. Why is determining activation energy important?

Determining activation energy is important because it provides insight into the mechanism of a chemical reaction. It also allows scientists to predict how changes in temperature will affect the rate of a reaction.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of determining activation energy?

The accuracy of determining activation energy can be affected by experimental errors, such as variations in temperature measurements or incorrect data collection. The complexity of the reaction and the presence of other reactants or catalysts can also impact the accuracy of the results.

5. Can activation energy be negative?

No, activation energy cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents the minimum amount of energy required for a reaction to occur. A negative value would imply that the reaction could occur without any energy input, which is not possible.