1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine an unknown matrix

1. Feb 12, 2008 #1
    General question:
    How do you determine a matrix B when given A and AB?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2008 #2
    If you know the inverse of A, you can multiply on the left side by A^-1 to get B, i.e. (A^-1)AB = B.
  4. Feb 12, 2008 #3
    Oh I see. I understand the computation, but could you explain the theory behind this?
  5. Feb 12, 2008 #4
    This isn't exactly a thorough explanation, but basically if you multiply a matrix by its inverse, you get the identity matrix I. If you multiply any matrix by the identity matrix, you get the original matrix back again, e.g. IA = AI = A.
  6. Feb 13, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The theory? A guess it's things like "associative law" and "existence of the multiplicative identity"!
    If you were given two numbers a, c, a not equal to 0, and told that ab= c, how would you solve for b?

If A has an inverse, then A-1(AB)= (A-1A)B= IB= B.

Notice the condition "If A has an inverse". There are plenty of different matrices, A, B, not having inverses, such that AB= 0. If A does not have an inverse, there may be many different matrices B such that AB= C.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?