1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine Equation by Graph

1. Dec 9, 2004 #1
    OK I am given the graph of a reciprocal function the asymptotes are x=1 and x=-1
    Quadrants ____1____|____2_____
    3 | 4

Ok in the first quadrant there is a > looking curve going through the invariant point 1 and in the second quadrant there is a < curve going through the invariant point 1. then there is a parabola with a max of -1 inbetween the asymptotes.

The question says determine the equation of the graph, so I need to find f(x) and then to get the reciprocal just put 1/(f(X)). I sketched f(x) but how do I find out the eqn? :confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does it look like the [tex]f(x)=\frac{1}{4*x^2-1}[/tex] in your other thread?

If so, try a function with a similar form: [tex]f(x)=\frac{a}{bx^2-c}[/tex]
    and find a,b and c by plugging in coordinates from the graph.
  4. Dec 11, 2004 #3
    no i graphed the equation in my other post it does not look similar to this one. I still have no idea of how to determine the equation, all I know is to find the equation of f(x) first then find 1/f(x). :cry:

Well this is what I just tried since the vertex of f(x) is 0,-1 I subbed this into the equations y=a(x+h)^2-K and then I took a point from the graph (the invariant point, 1,1) and then solved for a... a=2 so my equation for f(x) became 2x^(2)-1 that means the reciprocal must be 1/2x^(2)-1
    Im not sure if this is the correct way, I tried graphing the equation using my ti 83 graphing calculator, but the reciprocal function looks different from the one on my hand out, so i cant check If I am right? What do I do? does this seem right? :cry: please HELP ME !!!
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  5. Dec 14, 2004 #4
    Please Help Me Please

:cry: No one is helping me out, Im stuck well I tried and for my graph I got the equation 1/(2x^(2)-1) . HELP PLEASE
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?