Determine normal force and angular acceleration of disk

In summary, a 10kg disk with a 11Nm couple M applied contacts an inclined surface with a coefficient of friction of 0.4. The normal force at point D is determined to be 115.9 Newtons, the angular acceleration is 2.25rad/s2, and the force of the rod C is 77.19 Newtons. The equations used to solve for these values were \sum F_x=m\bar{a}_x, \sum F_y=m\bar{a}_y, and \sum M_G=\bar{I}\alpha, where \bar{x} and \bar{y} are the coordinates of the mass center (G) of the disk. The normal force
JJBladester
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A 10kg disk contacts an inclined surface. A 11Nm couple M is applied. The coefficient of friciton is 0.4. Determine the normal force at point D, the angular acceleration [itex]\alpha [/itex], and the force of the rod C.

wheel%20chapter%2016.jpg

Answers:
N=115.9 Newtons
[itex]\alpha [/itex]=2.25rad/s2
C=77.19 Newtons

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum F_x=m\bar{a}_x[/tex]

[tex]\sum F_y=m\bar{a}_y[/tex]

[tex]\sum M_G=\bar{I}\alpha[/tex]

[itex]\bar{x}[/itex] and [itex]\bar{y}[/itex] are the coordinates of the mass center (G) of the disk.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I drew a free-body diagram which you can see if you click the image above.

From the FBD, my first goal is to find the normal force (N) at point D.

I'm having a hard time doing that because I end up with two equations and 3 unknowns.

I don't konw N, C, or a.

[tex]\sum F_x=\mu _kNcos(30)+C-Ncos(30)=macos(30)[/tex]

[tex]N(\mu _k-1)+C=ma[/tex]

[tex]\sum F_y=\mu_kNsin(30)-mg+Nsin(30)=masin(30)[/tex]

[tex]-2N=-mg-C[/tex]

[tex]N=\frac{mg+C}{2}[/tex]

So... I have an expression for N, but it includes another unknown, C (the force of the rod on the disk).

Figured it out... I needed to set both (ma)'s equal to zero. Also, I did the sin and cos for the frictional force in reverse.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
\sum F_x=C-Ncos(30)-\mu _kNcos(30)=0\sum F_y=Nsin(30)-\mu_kNsin(30)-mg=0N(\mu _k-1)+C=0N=\frac{-C}{\mu_k-1}N=\frac{-(11Nm)(0.4)}{1-0.4}=115.9NNow that I know N, I can solve for C:C=2N-mg=77.19NFinally, I use the moment equation to find \alpha\sum M_G=\bar{I}\alpha(11Nm)=(10kg)(0.5m)^2\alpha\alpha=\frac{11Nm}{(10kg)(0.5m)^2}=2.25rad/s2

1. What is the formula for calculating normal force of a disk?

The formula for calculating normal force of a disk is N = mg - ma, where N is the normal force, m is the mass of the disk, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the angular acceleration of the disk.

2. How do you determine the normal force of a disk?

To determine the normal force of a disk, you first need to find the weight of the disk using the formula W = mg, where W is the weight, m is the mass of the disk, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Then, you can use the formula N = W - ma to find the normal force.

3. What is the relationship between normal force and angular acceleration of a disk?

The normal force and angular acceleration of a disk have an inverse relationship. This means that as the normal force increases, the angular acceleration decreases, and vice versa. This is because the normal force is responsible for keeping the disk in place and preventing it from sliding or slipping, while the angular acceleration is the rate of change of the disk's rotation.

4. Can the normal force of a disk be greater than its weight?

Yes, it is possible for the normal force of a disk to be greater than its weight. This can happen when the disk is accelerating in a circular motion, as the centripetal force (provided by the normal force) is greater than the weight of the disk.

5. How does the mass of a disk affect its normal force and angular acceleration?

The mass of a disk has a direct effect on its normal force and angular acceleration. A heavier disk will have a greater normal force and a lower angular acceleration, while a lighter disk will have a lower normal force and a greater angular acceleration. This is due to the fact that the normal force is directly proportional to the mass of the disk, while the angular acceleration is inversely proportional to the mass of the disk.