1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the distance each object will move

1. Oct 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two objects with masses of 4.00 kg and 6.00 kg are connected by a light string that passes over a frictionless pulley.
    (a) Determine the tension in the string.
    (b) Determine the acceleration of each object.
    (c) Determine the distance each object will move in the first second of motion if both objects start from rest.

2. Relevant equations

W=mg

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to find the weight of both masses and then add it, but it didn't work, I tried to substract it and nothing...I really dont know what else can I do
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

Re: Tension

I assume both masses are hanging.

Do part (b) first.

The weight force of one mass is trying to accelerate the total mass in one direction.
    The weight force of the other mass is trying to accelerate the total mass in the other direction.
    One of those forces is stronger than the other, so a smaller net force will cause the final motion.
    You get the Tension by then considering the two forces [gravity and tension] acting on either mass. You could calculate it twice [each mass] to confirm you get the same answer, and therefore have the correct answer.

4. Oct 2, 2011 #3

sum of Fy=T-W..
    F=ma,
    compare with fx, get T in term of acce.
    u'll get acce, then solve T..

once u get acce n T, I think u know how to find distance..

5. Oct 2, 2011 #4

I really dont get it :( can you explain it with more details please

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook