Determine the distance the object travels

• Thread starter YMMMA
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations to solve questions 49-51 about potential energy, kinetic energy, and distance traveled. Some errors in the equations are pointed out, and the correct labeling of variables is suggested. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding the meanings of the variables used in equations to avoid making mistakes.
YMMMA
Δ1. Homework Statement
Below

Homework Equations

[/B]Potential energy = kinetic energy
MgΔY=1/2 mΔv^2
Vf^2=Vi^2+2gx1

The Attempt at a Solution

For question 49, I used the first equation, and the result is Δv^2=2gY. Then, solving for x1 in the second equation, I got x1=Δv^2 / 2g. Substituting ΔV^2 in x1 results in x1=Y. Answer is A. I am not sure if I should have used H instead of Y, though. But then I would use D, too. I need clarifications, please.

50) since, the masses cancel, the horizontal distance would be the same for M and 2M. Answer C.
51) not sure of it, but friction always slows the motion. So, I guess it is A.
Am I right?

Attachments

• BB796980-EBF5-4276-AC10-2FB9D3925819.jpeg
    BB796980-EBF5-4276-AC10-2FB9D3925819.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 350
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I should have used H + D in 49 since when it ends the track it has another potential energy relative to the ground. Hmm..
MgH+MgD=1/2 Mv^2
Which one is correct?

These are the problems I see in the equations that you wrote:
YMMMA said:
Potential energy = kinetic energy
This statement, at best, is very misleading. It is not true that the potential energy is equal to the kinetic energy. Both these quantities are changing as the ball moves, and which potential energy is equal to which kinetic energy? At each point in its path, is the PE equal to the KE? That is certainly wrong. The correct statement, relevant to this situation, is that the sum of PE and KE is constant, if there is no friction.
YMMMA said:
MgΔY=1/2 mΔv^2
This statement is different from the one above, and is also wrong. This statement says the "change" in PE is equal to the "change" in KE, and that is not correct. The correct statement, which follows from the corrected statement #1 is "the change in PE = - the change in KE". That will mean that if there is a decrease in PE, there is an equal aount of increase in KE.

When you are solving a problem involving energy, you should label the positions of interest. In this case, the top of the ramp may be lebelled as 1, the bottom of the ramp as 2, and the final position where the ball lands may be called 3. Now, when you refer to the speed of the ball or ots position, along the y axis, you can call them vA, vB, yA, yB, etc. Then you can unambiguously trace the variables as the ball moves. For example, when you state:
YMMMA said:
and the result is Δv^2=2gY.
It is not clear what is Y. According to your statement #1, that result should be Δv^2=2gΔY and even then the question is what is ΔY? Do you mean the difference between the height at the top of the ramp and the bottom, or the other way?
I would suggest that you rewrite your attempt keeping all the variables clear by labelling them.

Likes gneill
YMMMA said:
solving for x1 in the second equation,
One of the commonest blunders in physics is to apply equations without due regard to the meanings of the variables within them. In that equation, the displacement, velocities and acceleration are all in the same direction. Does that apply to the values you have plugged in here?

Last edited:
I will redo my attempt then.

Sum of the potential energy and kinetic energy at the top equals the sum of potential and kinetic energy at the bottom.

At the top of the incline, the block is released from rest, so Kinetic energy is zero and potential energy is at its maximum value. As it moves down the ramp, the kinetic energy increases as the potenial energy decreases. At the bottom of the ramp, It surely has most of the kinetic energy and some potential energy since it is at a height of D from ground. Therefore, the potential energy at the top is equal to the mass, M, times acceleration due to gravity, g, times the change in height, which is from the the top of the ramp to the bottom of the ramp or simply H as labeled in the diagram, and the kinetic energy is zero. Then, at the bottom of the ramp, the potential energy is equal to M times g times the change of height from the bottom of the ramp to ground or D, and the kinetic energy equal half times the mass times change in velocity, which is final velocity minus initial velocity squared, or simply final velocity squared. Until here, is there something that I misunderstand?

MgH= MgD+1/2M(Vf)^2

Last edited:
haruspex said:
One of the commonest blunders in physics is to apply equations without due regard to the meanings of the variables within it. In that equation, the displacement, velocities and acceleration are all in the same direction. Does that apply to the values you have plugged in here?

They are all in the same direction, supposedly. But I don’t know what are you referring to. Do you mean that the equation I wrote above for X1 has different directions?

YMMMA said:
They are all in the same direction,
x1 and the velocity you found in the first step are horizontal, but g is vertical.
Consider the vertical motion after it leaves the ramp. What is vi for that?

haruspex said:
x1 and the velocity you found in the first step are horizontal, but g is vertical.
Consider the vertical motion after it leaves the ramp. What is vi for that?
I think I got what you mean. But still I am confused. Here the g is vertical but then i will need the horizontal acceleration. Am I to use this rule: Vf=Vi+at? (Final velocity = initial velocity plus acceleration times time)

haruspex said:
What is vi for that?
That would be the final velocity at the end of the ramp? If the rule in post #8 is the right one, should I consider the final velocity where the block hits the ground is zero?

YMMMA said:
That would be the final velocity at the end of the ramp?
It would be the vertical component of that velocity. What would that be?
YMMMA said:
I think I got what you mean. But still I am confused. Here the g is vertical but then i will need the horizontal acceleration.
For the horizontal aspect of the motion after leaving the ramp, yes, you wouid need the horizontal component of its acceleration while it is in the air. (What would that be?)
But for now I want you to concentrate on the vertical motion.
YMMMA said:
If the rule in post #8 is the right one, should I consider the final velocity where the block hits the ground is zero?
The velocity only becomes zero after it has hit the ground. The SUVAT rules only apply while acceleration is constant, and hitting the ground violates that, so "final velocity" means just before hitting the ground. That will not be zero.

haruspex said:
What would that be?
That depends if the rule I wrote in post #5 is correct. If so, solving for Vf gives the vertical component of the velocity which is the final velocity at the end of the ramp.

haruspex said:
But for now I want you to concentrate on the vertical motion.
So I should only know that in the vertical motion it’s just the acceleration due to gravity.

Should I start again solving for horizontal and vertical components separately, like from the top of the ramp to the moment just before hitting the groun?

haruspex said:
yes, you wouid need the horizontal component of its acceleration while it is in the air. (What would that be?)

Wait, do you mean when it’s moving down the ramp, I should figure out the horizontal component of the acceleration?

YMMMA said:
Wait, do you mean when it’s moving down the ramp, I should figure out the horizontal component of the acceleration?
No, we are done with the motion down the ramp. We are now only concerned with airborne motion from ramp to ground.
You found the speed at the point where it leaves the ramp. In what direction is it traveling at that point?
Look at the picture and read the text.

haruspex said:
In what direction is it traveling at that point?
From the moment it leaves the ramp, it moves a horizontal distance x1, so the direction is horizontal.

Wait I think I know now that acceleration in the horizontal is zero, so when solving for horizontal distance I use X1= initial velocity times time. Correct?

YMMMA said:
Wait I think I know now that acceleration in the horizontal is zero, so when solving for horizontal distance I use X1= initial velocity times time. Correct?

Yes.

Likes YMMMA
Finally, to get the horizontal distance, I used H, D, t, and M. Answer should be E for the first question,yes?

Next question: doubling the masses won’t affect the horizontal distance, because masses cancel out from the equation in post #5.

Last question: friction resists motion,which will always decrease the distance. In the equation I will minus the work of friction from potential energy at the top of the ramp; thus, it decreases the final velocity and the horizontal distance.

YMMMA said:
Finally, to get the horizontal distance, I used H, D, t, and M. Answer should be E for the first question,yes?

Just because you used H, D, t and M, doesn't mean you actually needed them. The answer is independent of one of these; and, it is possible to calculate one of these from the others. Any ideas?

PeroK said:
Just because you used H, D, t and M, doesn't mean you actually needed them. The answer is independent of one of these; and, it is possible to calculate one of these from the others. Any ideas?
Yes, masses cancel out so no need for M. But I need time to get the horizontal distance and also H and D. There is no other choice with only these three.

YMMMA said:
Yes, masses cancel out so no need for M. But I need time to get the horizontal distance and also H and D. There is no other choice with only these three.

The time required to calculate ##x_1## is the time that the block is in the air. Why would you use the time it takes to slide down the track? That is not the time interval during which the block is flying a distance of ##x_1##.

PeroK said:
The time required to calculate ##x_1## is the time that the block is in the air. Why would you use the time it takes to slide down the track? That is not the time interval during which the block is flying a distance of ##x_1##.
Oh, I forgot to recheck what is t in the given. Alright it’s B.

YMMMA said:
Next question: doubling the masses won’t affect the horizontal distance, because masses cancel out from the equation in post #5.

Last question: friction resists motion,which will always decrease the distance. In the equation I will minus the work of friction from potential energy at the top of the ramp; thus, it decreases the final velocity and the horizontal distance.

Are these correct?

YMMMA said:
Oh, I forgot to recheck what is t in the given. Alright it’s B.

Are these correct?

Yes, it's B. Although, you should note that the time it takes for the block to travel ##x_1## is determined by the vertical height ##D## that it falls. Any projectile that starts horizontally from a height ##D## takes the same time to fall.

And, yes, your other answers are also correct.

PeroK said:
Yes, it's B. Although, you should note that the time it takes for the block to travel ##x_1## is determined by the vertical height ##D## that it falls. Any projectile that starts horizontally from a height ##D## takes the same time to fall.

And, yes, your other answers are also correct.

Yes, I got that. Thank you all for your help and time!:smile::smile:

1. How do you calculate the distance an object travels?

The distance an object travels can be calculated by multiplying the object's speed or velocity by the time it takes to travel. This formula is represented as distance = speed x time. For example, a car traveling at a speed of 60 miles per hour for 2 hours will travel a distance of 120 miles.

2. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance and displacement are both measurements of how far an object has traveled. However, distance refers to the total length of the path traveled by an object, while displacement refers to the straight-line distance between the initial and final position of an object. Displacement takes into account the direction of travel, while distance does not.

3. How do you determine the distance an object travels if it changes direction?

If an object changes direction during its travel, the distance it travels can still be calculated by adding together the distances traveled in each direction. This can be done by breaking down the distance traveled into smaller segments and calculating the distance for each segment, then adding them together to find the total distance traveled.

4. What is the role of time in determining the distance an object travels?

Time is a crucial factor in calculating the distance an object travels. The longer an object travels, the greater the distance it will cover. Time also helps to determine the speed or velocity of an object, which is necessary for calculating distance. Without time, it would not be possible to accurately determine the distance an object travels.

5. How do you determine the distance an object travels if it changes speed?

If an object changes speed during its travel, the distance it travels can still be calculated by using the average speed of the object. This can be done by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. For example, if an object travels at a speed of 20 m/s for 5 seconds, then changes to a speed of 10 m/s for the next 5 seconds, the average speed would be (20+10)/2 = 15 m/s. Using this average speed, the distance traveled can be calculated using the distance = speed x time formula.