Determine the force in the bar CB

In summary, the two methods shown in the picture were used to solve the problem at hand. The first method only works if the bar CB is perpendicular, while the second method applies to both options where the rods are free to rotate about points A and B or where the long rod is resting against the rounded, frictionless end of the short rod at C. The direction of the force F exerted by rod CB on rod AD can be deduced through the use of frictionless surfaces at the point of contact.
ClearWhey
Homework Statement
Determine the force in the bar CB. The own weights can be neglected. Look at the first picture for the question.
Relevant Equations
Look at the second picture for my equations and results.
I solved this with two methods as you can see down below in the picture. Which is the correct way?

I remember I learned in class you could use both ways but why am I getting different results?

Solve.png

IMG_5175.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you assume that F acts perpendicular to bar ACD in your first method?

Likes ClearWhey
For clarification, can you describe the type of connection or linkage at points A, B, and C.

Likes ClearWhey
TSny said:
Did you assume that F acts perpendicular to bar ACD in your first method?

I actually didn't, just assumed the force would be that way if you removed the bar CB. But now that you write this I realize that method 1 only works if bar CB was perpendicular right?

Does it mean the second method is the right one?

TSny said:
For clarification, can you describe the type of connection or linkage at points A, B, and C.

Sorry but my english is not great. I have no idea what you mean with this. Thanks for helping me tho!

It's not clear to me what's going on at point C. I see two options.

Option 1: The long rod is resting against the rounded, frictionless end of the short rod at C. The other end of the short rod is fixed in place at B so that the short rod can't rotate about B.

Option 2: The rods are free to rotate about points A and B. The two rods are pinned together at C so that they are free to rotate about the pin. (It doesn't look like the two rods are pinned together in the figure.)

Since you are told to neglect the weights of both rods, I think it's probably option 2 that's intended. Your first solution would apply to option 1. Your second solution would apply to option 2.

Likes ClearWhey
TSny said:

Option 1: The long rod is resting against the rounded, frictionless end of the short rod at C. The other end of the short rod is fixed in place at B so that the short rod can't rotate about B.

Option 2: The rods are free to rotate about points A and B. The two rods are pinned together at C so that they are free to rotate about the pin. (It doesn't look like the two rods are pinned together in the figure.)

Since you are told to neglect the weights of both rods, I think it's probably option 2 that's intended. Your first solution would apply to option 1. Your second solution would apply to option 2.

Wow I didn't know it was this complicated haha. Thanks for clarifying it to me, now I understand how to think about these kind of questions. Thanks for the help!

TSny said:

I also have one more question about the way I solved it the first time. I can only remove the rod CB and write a force F like that if the rod CB was perpendicular right?

ClearWhey said:
I also have one more question about the way I solved it the first time. I can only remove the rod CB and write a force F like that if the rod CB was perpendicular right?
I'm not sure what you mean by removing the rod CB. You are interested in the direction of the force F that rod CB exerts on rod AD. Suppose rod AD rests against the end of rod CB as shown below. This is option 1 in post #5.
1606363913735.png

If the surfaces are frictionless at the point of contact, can you deduce the direction of the force F? In the figure, I've exaggerated the fact that the two rods are not perpendicular to each other.

TSny said:
I'm not sure what you mean by removing the rod CB. You are interested in the direction of the force F that rod CB exerts on rod AD. Suppose rod AD rests against the end of rod CB as shown below. This is option 1 in post #5.
View attachment 273143

If the surfaces are frictionless at the point of contact, can you deduce the direction of the force F? In the figure, I've exaggerated the fact that the two rods are not perpendicular to each other.

I don't know the word in english but by removing I mean when you draw the object and the forces (what I learned in class) you can sometimes remove certain objects and then draw the force it makes on the other object. Hope you understand what I mean.

If the rod CB was perpendicular for instance it would be easier to just remove it and then draw a force F that will impact rod AD. Then calculate force F from that instead of drawing the whole figure and calculate force F from point B right? Then you have to use cos or tan and so on...

ClearWhey said:
I don't know the word in english but by removing I mean when you draw the object and the forces (what I learned in class) you can sometimes remove certain objects and then draw the force it makes on the other object. Hope you understand what I mean.
Ok. I think you are describing the idea of drawing a free body diagram for each rod.

If the rod CB was perpendicular for instance it would be easier to just remove it and then draw a force F that will impact rod AD. Then calculate force F from that instead of drawing the whole figure and calculate force F from point B right? Then you have to use cos or tan and so on...
If rod AD rests against rod BC and if there is no friction between the rods, then there is only a normal force between the surfaces at the point of contact. So F is the normal force that rod BC exerts on AD.

TSny said:
Ok. I think you are describing the idea of drawing a free body diagram for each rod.

Yeah that is what I meant.

TSny said:
If rod AD rests against rod BC and if there is no friction between the rods, then there is only a normal force between the surfaces at the point of contact. So F is the normal force that rod BC exerts on AD.

Yes, like I thought. Thanks for the explanation!

Likes TSny

1. What is the formula for determining the force in the bar CB?

The formula for determining the force in the bar CB is F = EAΔL/L, where F is the force, E is the modulus of elasticity, A is the cross-sectional area, ΔL is the change in length, and L is the original length of the bar.

2. How do you calculate the change in length (ΔL) of the bar CB?

The change in length (ΔL) of the bar CB can be calculated by subtracting the original length (L) from the final length after the force is applied. This can be measured using a ruler or calculated using the change in position of the bar's endpoints.

3. What is the modulus of elasticity (E) and how is it determined?

The modulus of elasticity (E) is a measure of a material's ability to resist deformation under stress. It is determined experimentally by applying a known force to a material and measuring the resulting strain (change in length) of the material.

4. Can the force in the bar CB be negative?

Yes, the force in the bar CB can be negative if the bar is experiencing compressive forces rather than tensile forces. This means that the bar is being pushed together rather than pulled apart.

5. Are there any assumptions made when determining the force in the bar CB?

Yes, there are a few assumptions made when determining the force in the bar CB. These include assuming that the bar is in static equilibrium, that the material is linearly elastic, and that the cross-sectional area remains constant under the applied force.