1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the Forces in the Specified Members.

1. Oct 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the forces in members BC, CF, and EF of the loaded truss. Forces are positive if in tension, negative if in compression.

I have included an image

2. Relevant equations
    ƩM = 0
    ƩFy = 0
    ƩFx = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm a little stuck on this one.

I tried using method of sections, whereby I drew a line through the middle of lines BC, CF and EF and then focused on everything to the right of that line. What this gave me is a system with two L forces, one at E and another at D as well as the forces of the members BC, EF and CD.

From here I tried to take the moment about point C,

ƩMC = 0

0 = -L(d) + EFcos(17)

however I ran into difficulty because I couldn't figure out what the distance of CE is.

Help would be appreciated

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's just a bit of trig and geometry to find the distance CE. The length 'd' is known and a couple of the angles....find the vertical legs of triangles with side d and angle theta...draw a sketch....otherwise, your equation is good when you add your omission noted in red

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook