Determine the power required to forge a cylinder

In summary, a low-carbon steel cylinder with a diameter of 100 mm and height of 50 mm is forged at 1200°C with a velocity of 1m/s until its height is reduced to 15 mm. The flow stress is assumed to be constant at 80 MPa and with an efficiency of 60%, the power required to forge the cylinder can be determined using the equation force x velocity = power. However, the person asking for help is unsure of what equations to use and does not have many references to refer to, as mechanical metallurgy is a new subject for them.
Gelate
Hi, can anyone help me on the following problem? Thanks a lot in advance!

A 100 mm diameter, low-carbon steel cylinder, 50 mm tall, is forged at
1200°C at a velocity of 1m/s until its height is reduced to 15 mm.
During forging it is assumed that the flow stress is constant at 80 MPa.
Assuming an efficiency of 60% determine the power required to forge
the cylinder.

I do not know what equations to use. I do not have many references (books or website) to look at. I never learned mechanical metallurgy before and this is my first year in graduate school. in a panic...

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I know force times velocity is power. I would assume that this is what you need to use.

EDIT: oops didn't realize how old this thread was.

1. What is the definition of power in the context of forging a cylinder?

Power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. In the context of forging a cylinder, it refers to the amount of force required to shape and mold the cylinder into the desired form.

2. How is the power required to forge a cylinder determined?

The power required to forge a cylinder is determined by factors such as the type and size of the cylinder, the material it is made of, and the desired shape and dimensions. It can be calculated using mathematical equations or determined through experimentation.

3. What are the main factors that affect the power required to forge a cylinder?

The main factors that affect the power required to forge a cylinder include the type and properties of the material being forged, the temperature and pressure used in the forging process, and the shape and size of the cylinder.

4. How does the power required to forge a cylinder vary for different materials?

The power required to forge a cylinder can vary greatly for different materials. Materials with higher densities and strengths, such as steel, will require more power to forge compared to lighter and weaker materials like aluminum.

5. Is there a standard formula for determining the power required to forge a cylinder?

There is no one standard formula for determining the power required to forge a cylinder. It depends on various factors such as the material, shape, and size of the cylinder, and different equations or methods may be used to calculate it. It is important to consider all relevant factors and adapt the formula accordingly for accurate results.