Finding tension in cords with given resultant force

• Thread starter jasonbans
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the problem involves a crate being dragged across an icy sidewalk with two people pulling horizontally using cords. The net horizontal force on the crate is given and the tension in cord 1 is known. The goal is to determine the tension in cord 2 using the component method and vector addition. The x and y components of the resultant force must be calculated, and then the x and y components of each cord force can be added to find the tension in cord 2. The diagram shown in the conversation may be incorrect and the problem may have been initially unclear, but the individual was able to eventually solve it with the help provided.
jasonbans

Homework Statement

A crate is being dragged across a horizontal icy sidewalk by two people pulling horizontally on cords. the net horizontal force on the crate is 56N 16 degrees S of E. The tension in cord 1 is 27N [E]. if friction is negligible, determine the tension in cord 2

Homework Equations

use component method

The Attempt at a Solution

like i don't know how to get the tension 2

Attachments

• physics85.png
    physics85.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 655
Physics news on Phys.org

The resultant force and the force in cord 1 is given. Draw a sketch. Tell us what you know about vector addition.

PhanthomJay said:
The resultant force and the force in cord 1 is given. Draw a sketch. Tell us what you know about vector addition.

well here is my sketch don't know if it is right or not and to be honest i do not know much about vector addition just that when you have all your forces on the x or y you add them together

Attachments

• help1.jpg
    help1.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 646

jasonbans said:
well here is my sketch don't know if it is right or not and to be honest i do not know much about vector addition just that when you have all your forces on the x or y you add them together
The problem is perhaps a bit unclear. The forces are applied parallel to the ground. The resultant force (the sum of the 2 vectors) is given. What you have shown as T2 is actually the resultant force. You must calculate the x and y components of the resultant force. Then the x components of each of the cord forces add up to give the x comp of the resultant, and the y comp of each cord force add up to the y comp of the resultant. This will allow you to solve for the x and y comp of T2, from which you can find the mag of T2.

can you draw an example?

Last edited:

PhanthomJay said:
The problem is perhaps a bit unclear. The forces are applied parallel to the ground. The resultant force (the sum of the 2 vectors) is given. What you have shown as T2 is actually the resultant force. You must calculate the x and y components of the resultant force. Then the x components of each of the cord forces add up to give the x comp of the resultant, and the y comp of each cord force add up to the y comp of the resultant. This will allow you to solve for the x and y comp of T2, from which you can find the mag of T2.

is my diagram correct? Nvm i finally figured it out thank you for the help

Attachments

• help2.jpg
    help2.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 663
Last edited:

What is tension?

Tension is a force that is created when an object is pulled or stretched. It is a measure of the strength of the force that is pulling or stretching the object.

How is tension measured?

Tension is measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds. It can also be measured in units of pressure, such as pascals or pounds per square inch.

What factors affect tension?

The amount of tension in an object is affected by the strength and direction of the applied force, as well as the properties of the object itself, such as its material and shape.

How do you determine the tension in a system?

To determine the tension in a system, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object and their magnitudes and directions. Then, you can use Newton's laws of motion and other equations to calculate the tension.

Why is determining tension important?

Determining tension is important in many areas of science and engineering, as it helps us understand the behavior of objects under different forces and can be used to design and optimize structures and machines.