1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the tension

1. Sep 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A crate is being dragged across a horizontal icy sidewalk by two people pulling horizontally on cords. the net horizontal force on the crate is 56N 16 degrees S of E. The tension in cord 1 is 27N [E]. if friction is negligible, determine the tension in cord 2

2. Relevant equations

use component method

3. The attempt at a solution

like i dont know how to get the tension 2

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2011 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Components

The resultant force and the force in cord 1 is given. Draw a sketch. Tell us what you know about vector addition.

4. Sep 10, 2011 #3

well here is my sketch dont know if it is right or not and to be honest i do not know much about vector addition just that when you have all your forces on the x or y you add them together

Attached Files:

5. Sep 10, 2011 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The problem is perhaps a bit unclear. The forces are applied parallel to the ground. The resultant force (the sum of the 2 vectors) is given. What you have shown as T2 is actually the resultant force. You must calculate the x and y components of the resultant force. Then the x components of each of the cord forces add up to give the x comp of the resultant, and the y comp of each cord force add up to the y comp of the resultant. This will allow you to solve for the x and y comp of T2, from which you can find the mag of T2.

6. Sep 11, 2011 #5

can you draw an example?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  7. Sep 11, 2011 #6

is my diagram correct? Nvm i finally figured it out thank you for the help

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook